A spider's nest spotted in a bunch of bananas from Brazil could belong to the world's most venomous arachnid.Read the full story ›
Does it rain spiders in parts of South Australia? Well, kind of...Read the full story ›
A brain surgery patient was cured of arachnophobia following an operation but developed a temporary aversion to music.Read the full story ›
An app has been launched to help potentially terrified people identify invading house spiders that scurry indoors in the autumn.Read the full story ›
A man accidentally set a house on fire - while trying to kill a spider.
Firefighters were called to an address in Bridgend, South Wales, and saw smoke billowing from a rear window.
But they were gobsmacked to discover that the fire started when a man sprayed a spider with an aerosol before setting it alight.
A spokesman for Mid West and Wales Fire (MWF) Service said: "We attended at an incident at Kenfig Hill at 11.57am today.
"Crews extinguished a small fire at the rear of the property, which was caused when the occupant tried to remove a spider after initially spraying it with an aerosol and then setting it alight.The flames then spread to the rest of the room."
The fire service urged members of the public to avoid using aerosols inappropriately - and added that there were "more conventional ways" to get rid of spiders and insects.
Scientists record more than 80 incidences of fish eating semi-aquatic spiders in freshwater streams, rivers, lakes, ponds and swamps.Read the full story ›
An eco-worker from London received a shock when a huge spider crawled out of her backpack when she returned from a trip to Cameroon.Read the full story ›
A terrified family had to leave their home for three days after finding the spiders - which are feared to have been the world's most toxic.Read the full story ›
Ricki Whitmore says the spiders started running towards him before biting his leg. Speaking to the Daily Star he said:
There was a really sharp pain and then my leg started to throb. I managed to get home, but by the time I arrived my thigh had swollen to twice its normal size.
There was a really sharp pain and then my leg started to throb.
Ricki's wife Carrie added:
He looked terrible. He was pale, sweating and his leg was killing him. Even our son's Stanley, 11 and little Ricki, two, could tell something was wrong.
A man from east London has reportedly been attacked by a venomous spider, known as a 'false widow'. Ricki Whitmore claims the creature bit him, causing his leg to swell. He ended up in hospital on an antibiotic drip. Speaking to the Daily Star he said:
I found a nest of spiders' in a school I was renovating. They were quite big, a purplish brown colour with strange markings on their back.
I'd never seen anything like it. It was quite creepy. I'd never kill a spider but I needed access to the corner so I just swept them away.