Live updates

Starting XI's: Stoke v Arsenal - new signing Jese starts

Advertisement

Stoke striker Joselu completes move to Newcastle

Joselu has joined Newcastle. Credit: PA

Striker Joselu has completed his move to Newcastle from Stoke after manager Rafael Benitez finally received some good news on the transfer front.

The 27-year-old Spaniard has signed a three-year deal to seal a move for an undisclosed fee, believed to be in the region of £5million, the Magpies have confirmed.

Joselu said: "I feel very happy because I have signed for a very big club. I'm very happy to be part of this club, and so excited. I'm looking forward to getting to know my team-mates, the city, the training ground, the stadium and all the supporters."

Newcastle closing in on deal for Stoke striker

Joselu looks set for Newcastle. Credit: PA

Newcastle boss Rafael Benitez is edging closer to a deal for Stoke striker Joselu.

Press Association Sport understands the player is discussing terms with the Magpies with a view to completing a £5million switch to St James' Park.

Newcastle have been targeting the 27-year-old Spaniard, as well as Arsenal's Lucas Perez, in recent weeks as Benitez attempts to add firepower to his team.

Joselu, a £5.75million signing from Hannover in June 2015, scored only four goals in 27 appearances during his first season at Stoke, and spent the last campaign on loan at Deportivo la Coruna, where he managed six in 24 run-outs.

Benitez has repeatedly expressed his frustration in recent weeks at the club's relative lack of transfer activity and with owner Mike Ashley having made it clear that he will not break the bank, he is having to be inventive in the transfer market as he waits to offload players now surplus to requirements in the top flight.

He saw his side lose 2-0 at home to Tottenham on their return to the Premier League on Sunday with Dwight Gayle operating as a lone frontman and only Aleksandar Mitrovic as back-up on the bench.

Advertisement

Hughes: Stoke have work cut out for top-10 finish

Mark Hughes wants Stoke to finish in the top half again Credit: PA

Stoke boss Mark Hughes accepts his side have it all to do in their bid to secure another top-10 finish in the Premier League.

The Potters are currently ninth, a position they have finished in each of their last three seasons under Hughes, but travel to Burnley on Wednesday having won only one of their last five matches.

Back-to-back defeats to Chelsea and at Leicester have left Stoke eight points adrift of eighth-placed West Brom, while half a dozen rivals are now queuing up behind them.

And Hughes has demanded his players find the form to continue their year-on-year improvement.

We have eight games to go and it's clear what we need to do to at least finish in the top 10.

We are always trying to be better than the season before. We have just come through a run which has allowed teams to close in on us.

The displays against Middlesbrough, Manchester City and Chelsea were very good, however Leicester City not so.

Burnley don't change the way they play and play to their strengths.

You have to be nice and solid because they have players who can hurt you.

Burnley's home form has been exceptional. I don't see them being in trouble come the end of the season.

– Mark Hughes

Hughes: Stoke knew about Berahino's 'spiked' claims

Berahino joined Stoke from West Brom in January Credit: PA

Stoke manager Mark Hughes insists the club knew Saido Berahino's stance on his drugs ban from the outset after the former West Brom striker claimed his drink was spiked.

Berahino served an eight-week suspension earlier this season after failing a drugs test, which he has now said was due to his drink being spiked in a nightclub.

The 23-year-old did not play for West Brom between September and January, when he joined Stoke at the end of the transfer window for a deal worth £15 million.

In an interview with BBC Football Focus, Berahino also said "no-one at the club (West Brom) protected me", that he had become depressed and ended up hating being at the club he joined as an 11-year-old.

And Hughes told reporters in his press conference that there was no reason to think Berahino was telling anything other than the truth over the incident.

That's always been Saido's stance and take on how the drug was in his system. There's no reason to disbelieve him.

We knew from the beginning when we first began that was always his stance, he's never wavered from that. Maybe people will understand that happens in this day and age and a lot have been victims.

There's no reason to disbelieve him, it can happen.

– Mark Hughes
Load more updates