These pictures show the damage caused by the devastating blaze at Grade I-listed Clandon Park, one of Britain's finest country mansions.Read the full story ›
Disgraced entertainer Jimmy Savile sexually abused at least 22 pupils and one visitor at a school for emotionally disturbed girls in the 1970s, police say.
Surrey Police said Savile was given "unrestricted and largely unsupervised" access to Duncroft School in Staines, Surrey, which he visited 16 times between 1974 and 1979 - even staying overnight on two occasions.
Teenage girls at the school were the victims of 46 offences of sexual abuse by the disgraced entertainer, the force's report found.
The attacks occurred in vehicles taken to the school by Savile and in rooms including the principal's office, dining room, common room, kitchen, TV room and a bedroom of the intensive care unit.
The Crown Prosecution Service announced in December last year that no charges would be brought against former staff members following an investigation into whether anyone was complicit in the abuse.
Savile, who died in 2011 aged 81, was a former BBC DJ and presenter and is now known to have been one of Britain's most prolific sex offenders.
Police forces in neighbouring areas should consider merging together to save cash and put "tens of thousands" more officers on the beat, a senior police chief has said.
Kevin Hurley, the Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) for Surrey, made the comments after a report by the Home Affairs Committe on the Architecture of Policing.
He said maintaining 43 forces - each with expensive headquarters, chief officer teams and PCCs - was an "unforgiveable misuse of public money" when it came at the expense of front-line services.
When people call the police in an emergency, they have two concerns - will they get here quickly and will they solve my problem?
Keeping the 43 forces leeches money from the front line and hinders, not helps, the police’s ability to address those concerns.
No-one has ever turned away police assistance in their hour of need because they have the wrong badge on their hats.
It follows similar calls from Metropolitan Police commissioner Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe, who urged emergency services to work together as they struggle to deal with sweeping budget cuts.
Britain's busiest motorway was shut for much of the day after a HGV smashed into a white van - but both drivers walked away unscathed.Read the full story ›
Surrey Fire and Rescue Service confirmed that the adult who died in a blaze at a mobile home was a woman.
She is believed to be the mother of two young children who also died in the fire.
Surrey police and fire service have launched a joint investigation into the deaths of two children and an adult in a mobile home fire.
Surrey Fire Service and Surrey Police are carrying out a joint investigation and our thoughts are with their family and friends at this very sad time.
Three people, believed to be two children and an adult, died in a mobile home fire early today, Surrey Police said.
Police were called to Newchapel, off West Park Road at around 1.45 am today following reports of a fire.
Three people were declared dead at the scene.
A man and another child were also treated for burns following the deadly blaze.
Officers and fire crews remain at the scene as inquiries into the circumstances of the incident continue.
A Lithuanian builder accused of murdering a couple will make his first crown court appearance today.
Viktoras Bruzas, 38, faces two counts of murder after Patrick and Gillian Kettyle, who were in their 50s, were found dead at their home in Fetcham in Surrey shortly after midnight on Thursday.
Police said they had suffered stab wounds.
Bruzas,from Walton-on-Thames, appeared at South East Surrey Magistrates' Court in Redhill on Saturday, speaking only to confirm his age and address.
He was remanded in custody ahead of his appearance before Guildford Crown Court today.
A man in his 30s has been charged with two counts of murder after a man and a woman died at a property in Fetcham earlier this week.
Although formal identification has not yet taken place, the victims are believed to be Patrick and Gillian Kettyle, a married couple who lived at the property.
Viktoras Bruzas, 38, from Walton-on-Thames has been charged with murder. He is due to appear at South East Surrey Magistrates Court in Redhill tomorrow.
Another man in his 30s who was arrested on Thursday morning at a property in Walton-on-Thames on suspicion of conspiracy to commit murder has now been released with no further action taken against him.
An American man has been sentenced to life in prison after travelling to the UK in a bid to murder a woman he met through online gaming.Read the full story ›