Live updates

Armed robber latest escapee from Ford open prison

Armed robber David Blood is serving a life sentence.
Armed robber David Blood is serving a life sentence. Credit: Sussex Police/PA Wire

An armed robber serving a life sentence is the latest criminal to go on the run from Ford open prison.

Police say David Blood, 48, said may pose a threat to the public following his escape.

It is thought to be the second time he has absconded from an open prison after going missing from HMP Sudbury in Derbyshire in April 2012.

Blood is described as 6ft 1in tall (1.85m), of small build with brown eyes and cropped black hair. He is known to have links to Staffordshire and Warwickshire.

Read: 89 inmates on the run from Ford open prison

'Too many' escaping open prison, MP says

After figures showed 89 prisoners were missing from Ford open prison in Sussex, local MP Nick Gibb expressed concern over how prisoners sent to the institution were chosen.

Mr Gibb, the MP for Bognor Regis and Littlehampton, said: "I'm worried about how prisoners are chosen to be sent to Ford open prison, and that too many are absconding.

"The theory is that these are prisoners who are coming to the end of their sentences and therefore should no longer be at risk of absconding.

"The risk assessment of prisoners who are being sent to Ford open prison is clearly not vigorous enough."

Read: Eighty-nine inmates on the run from Ford Open Prison

Advertisement

89 inmates on the run from Ford open prison

Ford Open Prison near Arundel, West Sussex.
Ford Open Prison near Arundel, West Sussex. Credit: Chris Ison/PA Archive

Eighty-nine prisoners are currently on the run from Ford open prison in Sussex, police have said.

Sussex Police confirmed the number to ITV News, and said it was working to ensure "each and every one" is returned.

Earlier this week the force issued an appeal for 57-year-old Robert Donovan, a convicted murderer currently on the loose.

According to reports, the force had known about his absence for four years.

The finding comes after a number of high-profile escapes in recent weeks, including Michael Wheatley - also known as the "skull cracker" - who absconded from Standford Hill open prison in Kent.

Police: 'We don't know where dangerous criminal is'

Despite officers searching for 54-year-old escaped prisoner Kevin Brown - who has been described as 'dangerous' - there have been no reported sightings of him, a police spokesman said.

It has been more than a month since Brown walked out of Ford and we still do not know where he is.

He may not be in the county at all or he could be hiding with someone in Sussex. He has friends and family across the South East.

We need to speak to anyone who might have seen him or who has any idea where he could be.

Brown committed very serious offences so has to be considered dangerous.

If you see him, don't approach him but instead find somewhere safe and call 999.

Brown is white, 6ft 1in, and of muscular build, with short dark cropped hair.

– Detective Inspector Dave Wardley-Wilkins

Information to Sussex Police on 101 quoting serial 732 of 10/4, email 101@sussex.pnn.police.uk or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

'Dangerous' criminal walked out of prison a month ago

Detectives have admitted that they have not been able to track down a "dangerous" criminal who walked out of an open prison more than a month ago.

Kevin Brown who was serving a life sentence. Credit: Sussex Police/PA Wire

Kevin Brown, who was serving a life sentence imposed at the Old Bailey in 2007 for conspiracy to rob and firearms offences, absconded from Ford Prison, West Sussex, on April 10 and has not been seen since, Sussex Police said.

Despite officers searching for the 54-year-old there have been no reported sightings of him, a spokesman said.

Read: 'Dangerous' criminal walked out of prison a month ago

Briton's body recovered from canal in Netherlands

The body of a British tourist who went missing following a night out in the Dutch city of Leiden has been recovered from a canal.

Wayne Davies, 22, went missing after leaving the Hifi nightclub in Leiden, western Netherlands, in the early hours of April 19. His mother raised the alarm the next day as he was due to return to the UK .

The body of Wayne Davies, 22, was recovered from a canal in Leiden, The Netherlands.
The body of Wayne Davies, 22, was recovered from a canal in Leiden, The Netherlands. Credit: Google Maps

A Foreign Office spokesman said: "We were notified of the death of a British national on 26 April in The Netherlands."

"We are providing consular assistance to the family at this difficult time."

Detectives believe that Mr Davies, an apprentice plumber from East Grinstead, Sussex, could have fallen into the city's extensive network of canals and waterways.

Advertisement

Pedestrian killed by police car in Hastings

A man has died after being struck by a police car in Hastings, East Sussex.

The victim, believed to be local and in his 40s died at the scene despite efforts to revive him by police officers and paramedics.

The police car, carrying two local officers, was responding to a report that a car being driven by a disqualified driver had been seen in the area. One of the officers was slightly injured in the collision

Police hunt sex offender on the run from court

A sex offender has gone on the run after pleading guilty to having sex with an underage girl.

James Dunham, 33, absconded from Lewes Crown Court on Thursday after admitting the charge.

James Dunham's mug shot.
James Dunham, 33, went on the run after pleading guilty to having sex with an underage girl. Credit: Sussex Police/PA Wire

Sussex Police said Dunham, from Eastbourne, East Sussex, was given bail and told to remain in the court building to discuss the case with his solicitor, but he has not been seen since.

Dunham, who is not believed to present a physical risk to the general public, is described as white, 5ft 10in, of medium build, with green eyes and short brown hair.

Sussex Police are urging anyone who has seen Dunham or knows where he may be to contact them on 101 or or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

Murdered house-sitter died from head injuries

A 55-year-old woman who was murdered while house-sitting in a quiet seaside village in West Sussex died from "significant head and facial injuries", a post-mortem has revealed.

Read: Murder investigation after woman's body found in house

The home where the body of 55-year-old Valerie Graves was found dead. Credit: Press Association

Valerie Graves was found dead in the property in Smuggler's Lane on Monday morning. She had been house-sitting with three other members of her family over Christmas while the owners of the home were on holiday.

Sussex Police are continuing to appeal for witnesses to come forward, and investigations are continuing. Detective Chief Inspector Jon Fanner said:

"The post-mortem has revealed the cause of death but we are still keeping an open mind as to the motive. We are appealing for witnesses who may have seen anyone acting suspiciously or anything unusual in the area from late afternoon on Sunday 29 December to around 10am on Monday 30 December.

"Please call us if you know anything, no matter how insignificant you might think it is. It could be important to the investigation."

Load more updates

Advertisement

Today's top stories