Government forces in Aleppo have gained more ground, as Russia and China blocked a draft resolution for a seven-day ceasefire.Read the full story ›
The last tweet from the account of seven-year-old Syrian girl Bana al-Alabed said "we are sure the army is capturing us now".Read the full story ›
Bodies are being buried in backyards and overwhelming morgues as officials try to find another plot of land to lay them to rest.Read the full story ›
At least three children and 18 others - including members of the local police force - were among those who died.Read the full story ›
The fall of rebel-held areas of Aleppo to the government will not end the war in Syria, the European Union foreign policy chief said today.
Federica Mogherini told a panel discussion at a conference in Rome: "I'm convinced the fall of Aleppo will not end the war."
Syrian government forces backed by allied militia have captured swathes of Aleppo from rebel groups over the last week in a ferocious offensive.
The mother of seven-year-old Bana al-Abed, who tweets about the life besieged city of Aleppo, has posted a desperate message.Read the full story ›
- Video report by ITV News Correspondent Dan Rivers
At least 30,000 people have been displaced from Aleppo in recent days, the UN has said.
Rebel forces are losing ground to Syrian President Bashar Assad's army in the besieged city as fighting continues.
On Thursday the Syrian Army claimed to have taken another district.
The United Nations hopes to evacuate those still trapped in the city through four corridors, and says it believes there are around 400 wounded people in Aleppo who need to be evacuated immediately.
The United Nations has called on world powers to protect civilians in the besieged city of Aleppo before it becomes a giant graveyard.
More than 20,000 people have fled the city in recent days as pro-government forces make a series of sweeping gains.
As the rebels vow to fight on, tens of thousands of civilians are still trapped inside, ITV News Correspondent Paul Davies reports.
A Syrian military source has denied claims that people fleeing rebel-held areas of eastern Aleppo are being arrested, Reuters news agency reports.
The unnamed source confirmed that the identities of those leaving are being checked but claimed this was in case "terrorists" are with them.
He added that any 'unknown people' leaving Aleppo are put in "specific places" in areas where civilians are located.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights had said that hundreds of displaced people were being detained and held for questioning.
On Tuesday the Red Cross said that 16,000 people had fled fighting in the divided city during a 48-hour period as government forces, backed by Russia, bombarded areas.
Meanwhile a rebel official has insisted that the insurgents will not withdraw from the besieged city.
"A withdrawal by the factions is rejected," Zakaria Malahifji, head of the political office of the Aleppo-based Fastaqim rebel group told Reuters, speaking from Turkey.
"This is the decision of the factions. I spoke to them about everything that was tabled and they said they would not withdraw, and other things may also happen," he said, without giving further details.
Anti-government rebels in the Syrian city of Aleppo are desperately trying to hold onto the territory they have held since 2012.Read the full story ›