Cameron Norrie's meteoric rise continued at the French Open as he raced into the second round on his Roland Garros debut.
The 22-year-old British number three did not even bother watching the tournament this time last year, but he now faces the prospect of taking on French 15th seed Lucas Pouille on one of the Paris showcourts on Wednesday.
Norrie, who only played his first professional match on clay in February, was leading 6-1 2-0 when first-round opponent Peter Gojowczyk retired injured.
Nevertheless, Norrie had looked assured and in complete control before Gojowczyk, the world number 43 from Germany, called it quits.
"I didn't see it coming, not at all," said Norrie. "He was hitting the ball big and hitting well. It didn't look like anything was bothering him too much.
"But I think start of the second set on his serve and then a little bit on his movement, I wrong-footed him a couple times.
"I was playing great. I was serving really well. I think that that was the best tennis I have played in my life. I think I was in the zone and not making any unforced errors, being the one dictating play.
Controversial Australian Nick Kyrgios has withdrawn from the French Open through injury.
The fiery 23-year-old was seeded 21st at Roland Garros and was due to play fellow Australian Bernard Tomic in the first round.
However, Kyrgios has not played a singles match since April due an elbow injury and says he is not fit enough to return yet.
"Having consulted with my team and medical experts it is deemed too risky for me to step out and potentially play five sets on clay, especially as I have not played a singles match in nearly two months," he wrote on Twitter.
Edmund followed up his win over Novak Djokovic by beating David Goffin in straight sets to move into the quarter-finals of the Madrid Open.Read the full story ›
Britain's Kyle Edmund secured one of the biggest wins of his career by beating former world number one Novak Djokovic in the second round of the Madrid Open.
Edmund had never won a set in his previous three matches against Djokovic but deservedly came out on top in a high-quality contest lasting an hour and 42 minutes.
The 23-year-old crucially saved three break points in the deciding set to seal a 6-3 2-6 6-3 victory and set up a clash with eighth seed David Goffin in the third round.
Konta was never behind in her opening match in the Bourbon Beans Dome which saw her take a comfortable 6-4 6-2 victory over Nara.
The British number one got off to a flying start and broke her opponent's serve in the opening game, only to be forced to save three break points herself before holding to take a 2-0 lead.
Konta needed a second serve ace to hold in game four for a 3-1 lead, before having to work hard again to win game eight and take a 5-3 lead, forcing Nara to serve to stay in the first set.
Nara was able to do that but Konta came through when she finally took the next game on a fourth set point to win the opener 6-4 when Nara hit a forehand wide.
Nara made a slow start to the second set as she suffered her second service break of the match in the opening game, a powerful backhand return giving Konta a second break point which she took as her opponent double-faulted.
Konta dug deep to save two break points on her own serve in game two before an ace earned her a 2-0 lead as the second set looked like a repeat of the first.
Konta upped the pressure in game three to claim a second break for a 3-0 lead, only for Nara to break back in game four. But Konta broke again to lead 5-2 and then served out for a 6-4 6-2 victory to level the tie.
Kyle Edmund suffered his second defeat in three days after losing to Italy's Andreas Seppi in the opening round of the Monte-Carlo Masters.
The British number one reached a career-high ranking of 23 after making his first ATP Tour final in Marrakesh at the weekend, but a positive week ended on a sour note when he was well beaten by lowly-ranked Pablo Andujar.
He seemed to carry that disappointment, and no doubt a little weariness, into the first set against Seppi and trailed 5-1 after a lacklustre first six games.
Edmund rallied at the end of the set and finally made his sixth break point of the second count to force a decider but Seppi, who was one of the Yorkshireman's victims during his run to the Australian Open semi-finals, finished the stronger to win 6-3 5-7 6-2.
Dan Evans will make his comeback from a drugs ban in Glasgow next week after being handed a wildcard entry by the Lawn Tennis AssociationRead the full story ›
Johanna Konta's defence of her Miami Open title ended on Monday as Venus Williams beat the British number one 5-7 6-1 6-2 in their fourth-round match in Key Biscayne.
The result will see 11th seed Konta drop from 14th in the world rankings to outside the top 20.
Williams, making her 19th appearance at the tournament and reaching the quarter-finals for a 13th time, enjoyed the vocal home support as she produced an outstanding display after coming off second best in a wobbly opening set.
The 37-year-old will face fellow American Danielle Collins in the last eight. Collins triumphed 3-6 6-4 6-2 against Puerto Rico's Monica Puig, who had seen off world number two Caroline Wozniacki at the weekend.
Spanish third seed Garbine Muguruza followed Konta out of the tournament, with Sloane Stephens winning 6-3 6-4. Stephens - seeded 13 - will next play 10th seed Angelique Kerber, who rallied for a hard-fought 6-7 (1/7) 7-6 (7/5) 6-3 victory over China's Yafan Wang.
Two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova was sent packing in the late match, with French Open champion Jelena Ostapenko seeing off the rain as well as the ninth-seeded Czech. The Latvian fifth seed prevailed 7-6 (7/4) 6-3 to reach the last eight, where she will take on Ukraine's Elina Svitolina.
Fourth seed Svitolina overcame Australian Ashleigh Barty 7-5 6-4.
Fifth seed Karolina Pliskova was leading Zarina Diyas 6-2 2-1 when the Kazakh retired injured. The Czech will next take on Victoria Azarenka, who overpowered fellow former Miami champion Agnieszka Radwanska 6-2 6-2.
Johanna Konta continued her timely return to form with a 75-minute rout of Elise Mertens to reach the fourth round of the Miami Open.Read the full story ›
Roger Federer will not compete in the French Open for the third year running after announcing he will skip the entire clay-court season.
The 36-year-old made the announcement after he was knocked out of the Miami Open by Thanasi Kokkinakis - a qualifier ranked 175 in the world.
Federer, who won at Roland Garros in 2009, also pulled out of the tournament in 2016 and again last year citing the need to avoid playing on clay in order to prolong his career.
When asked in his post-match press conference if he would discuss the clay-court season with his team following the loss, the Swiss said: "I've decided not to play."
Federer gave a curt response when asked to clarify whether he would also miss the French Open, adding: "Yes, that is what I said. Clay is the French (Open) as well."