Kyle Edmund beats Kevin Anderson at the Australian Open, pulling off the best victory of his career so far in MelbourneRead the full story ›
Andy Murray underwent surgery on his right hip on Monday morning and is hoping to return to competitive tennis for the 2018 grass-court season.
The 30-year-old former world number one, who has not competitively played since Wimbledon last summer and last week withdrew from this month's Australian Open, announced via his official Facebook page that he had gone under the knife in Melbourne, and vowed to return to the top.
Sorry, this content isn't available on your device.
The now world number 19 said the two options available to fix his troublesome hip were to continue with rehab or have surgery, for which he admitted the chances of success were not as high as he would have liked.
But, after undergoing the operation in Australia, Murray's outlook was more optimistic.
"I'm very optimistic because, having spoken to the surgeon after he did the surgery, he was very happy about how it went," Murray said, quoted by several national newspapers.
"He felt that my hip will be feeling better than it did a year ago and, obviously, I was still doing fine a year ago, I was ranked number one in the world.
"Moving forward I'll certainly be playing a reduced schedule, and then focusing more on trying to win major events and big tournaments rather than trying to achieve certain ranking goals."
Australian Nick Kyrgios secured his first ATP Tour title on home soil as he beat Ryan Harrison in the final of the Brisbane International.
The 22-year-old fired 17 aces as he powered to a 6-4 6-2 victory over his American opponent on Sunday.
Kyrgios wrapped up the first set in 37 minutes despite having to save five break points along the way.
The third seed grabbed an early break in the second set and did not take his foot off the gas for the rest of the match as he clinched his fourth career ATP Tour title.
After his victory, Kyrgios told the ATP's official website: "I felt good all week. I felt right at home.
"Every time I stepped out here you (the fans) gave me such great support. I love playing in front of you guys even though sometimes it may not seem that way. But I do - I really appreciate it."
Seventh seed Damir Dzumhur beat Germany's Jan-Lennard Struff 6-1 6-4 in the opening round of the Sydney International.
There were also first-round wins for Paolo Lorenzi and Alexandr Dolgopolov over Jordan Thompson and Viktor Troicki respectively.
Serena Williams has withdrawn from the season-opening Grand Slam in Melbourne and will not defend the title she won in 2017Read the full story ›
The British tennis star has issued a short statement confirming he is heading home as his injury woes continue.Read the full story ›
Andy Murray's preparations for the Australian Open received a setback as he was forced to delay his comeback due to a long-term hip injuryRead the full story ›
British number one Johanna Konta got the taste for victory again as she began 2018 with an impressive win over Madison Keys at the Brisbane International.
Konta had a dreadful end to the 2017 season, not winning since August and suffering from injury, but she put that right on the opening day of the new year with a come-from-behind 4-6 6-4 6-3 success over the American.
It was the toughest first-round draw possible for Konta against a player ranked 19th in the world and she lost the first set by dropping her serve at 4-5.
Playing her first match under new coach Michael Joyce, who used to work with Maria Sharapova, Konta began to get on top and a single break midway through the second set was enough for her to level matters.
She then took Keys' serve in the opening game of the decider and saw it out comfortably to end a run of five successive defeats, going back to the Cincinnati Open in August.
Serious question marks remain about Andy Murray's fitness after he was beaten by Roberto Bautista Agut in a one-set exhibition in Abu DhabiRead the full story ›
Novak Djokovic's Australian Open participation is in doubt after he was forced to withdraw from an exhibition event in Abu Dhabi with an elbow injury.
The Serbian has been out for almost six months and had been due to make his return to action at the World Tennis Championship.
However, he has now pulled out of a scheduled match against Roberto Bautista Agut and admits the injury "might affect the start of the season", with the Australian Open starting on January 15.
Andy Murray, who had been at the event just with the intention of training as he recovers from his own injury problems, will now step in to face Bautista Agut, according to a post on the tournament's Facebook page.
World number one Rafael Nadal's ongoing knee injury has seen him pull out of the season-opening Brisbane International.
Nadal was forced to withdraw from the ATP World Tour Finals in November with the issue and he has been unable to sufficiently recover in the off-season.
The Spaniard was due to play in the Mubadala World Tennis Championship in Abu Dhabi this weekend but pulled out earlier this week and he has now cancelled his plans to play in Brisbane.
However, he hopes to be fit for the Australian Open in Melbourne.
He said on Twitter: "I am sorry to announce I won't be coming to Brisbane this year. My intention was to play but I am still not ready after last year's long season and the late start of my preparation.
"I had a great time there and it was a great start to the month I spent in Australia.
"I will be seeing my Aussie fans when I land on the 4th in Melbourne and start there my preparation for the Australian Open."
British number one Andy Murray is due to play in the tournament as he embarks on his comeback from a hip injury.