Tesco has scrapped its full-year trading profit outlook as its domestic sales fell sharply in the second quarter of this year.
Results announced this morning showed underlying UK sales own 5.5% over the period.
The group said last month it had overstated its first-half profit forecast by £250 million pounds, but the group said on Thursday this had now risen to £263 million.
Tesco chairman Sir Richard Broadbent has announced he is stepping down from his role.
The supermarket has recently appointed a new chief executive, Dave Lewis and a new finance director, Alan Stewart.
Tesco has announced that it overstated its profits for the first half of the year by £263m, slightly higher than the £250m originally estimated when the company was hit by an accounting scandal.
ITV News Economic Editor Richard Edgar is following developments.
Tesco confirms it overstated profits by £263 million (a bit more than we were told before). profits halved compared with year before.
Five of the company's executives have been suspended over the issue and city regulators are investigating what went on.
£118m relates to 1st half of this year, but 70m to last year and £75m to overstatements in previous years - this was an established practice
Chief executive Dave Lewis said the suspensions were not disciplinary but would enable a "full and frank" investigation.
Tesco has announced group trading profits of £937m for the first half of this year.
The company said pre-tax profits fell 91.9% to £112 million in the six months to August 23rd.
Tesco has suspended another executive as financial regulators investigate how the supermarket overstated profits by £250m.
The Financial Times reports that commercial director Kevin Grace has become the latest senior figure to be suspended.
Four senior executives, including UK managing director Chris Bush, were asked to step aside two weeks ago when Tesco revealed that its most recent profits warning to the City in August was much too optimistic.
The company's new chief executive, Dave Lewis, has stressed that the suspensions are not a disciplinary matter, but are designed to enable a "full and frank" investigation into the profit warning.
Supermarket giant Tesco says it will "co-operate fully" with the investigation by the Financial Conduct Authority into how it overstated first half-year profits by £250m.
"Tesco will continue to co-operate fully with the Financial Conduct Authority and other relevant authorities considering this matter," the company said in a statement today.
The company announced on September 22 that it had overstated first-half profit by £250 million - effectively its third profit warning in two months.
It suspended four senior executives and launched its own investigation.
The Financial Conduct Authority has begun a full investigation into Tesco after the supermarket overstated its half-year profits by £250m, the company has announced.
Troubled supermarket giant Tesco has delayed opening a £22m new store in Cambridgeshire.
The 47,000 sq ft store in Chatteris will be boarded up until further notice, a spokesperson for the chain said.
It comes after Tesco announced it would be delaying the opening of a new store in Immingham, Lincolnshire.
An investigation has been launched into allegations Tesco-owned Homeplus in South Korea sold customer information to insurance companies.
Former and current executives of Homeplus, which has more than 400 stores in South Korea, have been asked to remain in the country while investigations continue.
It has been reported that the information was collected during in-store prize giveaways and sold to insurance companies for millions of pounds.
A Tesco spokesperson said: “We can confirm our South Korean business, Homeplus is under investigation regarding the handling of customer data. "We take the protection of our customers’ data extremely seriously and are co-operating with the investigation."
The opening of a £22 million Tesco store has been delayed - the second such "delayed opening" announced by the troubled supermarket chain this month.
The 47,000 square foot superstore in Chatteris, near Ely in Cambridgeshire, will be boarded up "until further notice", a spokesman confirmed.
As part of the development, a river bed has been moved, an underpass built and a roundabout installed, sparking numerous complaints.
The Tesco spokesman said there was no timeline for the development "beyond that it is delayed".