Bomb squads supervised the destruction of the pyrotechnics which were seized by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.Read the full story ›
The father of a patient at a Texas hospital who became distraught over his son's condition has surrendered without incident.
They said he did not have a weapon.
The Harris County Sheriff's Office said the man had been with his adult son inside a hospital room in the critical care unit of the Tomball Regional Medical Centre.
Earlier, police had said they believed he was holding at least two hostages.
Harris County Sheriff's Lt Joe Ambriz said a threatening situation arose around 7pm local time, but would not describe it or any details about the son's condition.
The authorities said around 11pm local time that the man was in custody and the hospital was no longer under any lockdown.
Two people were killed when a camel trampled them at a Texas camel farm, authorities have said.Read the full story ›
Authorities now say they do not consider an incident at a Texas hospital involving a distraught father to be a hostage situation, the Associated Press has reported.
The Harris County Sheriff's Office says that a man who was distraught about his son's medical condition and was with him inside a hospital room in the critical care unit of the Tomball Regional Medical Center, near Houston.
The sheriff's office said it was still unclear whether the man was armed.
Police and media reports earlier said the man was believed to be holding at least two hostages.
A man believed to be the father of a patient is thought to have taken at least two people hostage at a hospital in Texas.
It was not immediately clear if the man was armed.
The Harris County Sheriff's Office said it believed the man was a distraught parent of a patient and at least two people were being held hostage at the Tomball Regional Medical Centre, near Houston.
A supervisor at the county's emergency dispatch centre said the situation was in the critical care unit and began around 7pm local time.
The hospital is on a 150-acre campus about 30 miles north-west of Houston in the United States.
A US appeals court has issued a stay of execution for Scott Panetti, a mentally ill man set to be put to death in Texas for double murder.Read the full story ›
The Texas hospital that treated Liberian national Thomas Eric Duncan, who died last week of Ebola, has apologised to his fiance for being unable to save his life.
Duncan's fiance, Louise Troh, 54, said in a statement she received a call from a top official at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital, who said the hospital was "deeply sorry" for the way Duncan's case was handled.
I am grateful to God that this leader reached out and took responsibility for the hospital's actions. Hearing this information will help me as I mourn Eric's death.
Troh, her 13-year-old son, and two relatives of Duncan have been in mandatory quarantine at an undisclosed location within the city limits for nearly three weeks. Their isolation is scheduled to end on Sunday if they are given the all clear.
An official from the Texas hospital where two nurses contracted Ebola has admitted mistakes were made in their treatment.
ITV News Washington Correspondent Robert Moore reports from Dallas:
It has now been confirmed that the remaining patient here, Nina Pharm, also known as 'Nurse 1' will be transferred from this hospital to a specialist unit in Maryland, just outside of Washington DC.
I think here everybody recognises this is has been a public health and a public relations disaster, but less talked about and probably more significant is how valuable a lesson this has been.
Really teaching everybody around the world that however sophisticated your medical infrastructure is, when it comes to the Ebola virus nothing really beats good preparation and excellent education.
A senior official of the Texas hospital system has said "we made mistakes" in diagnosing a Liberian man who had Ebola and later died.
Dr. Daniel Varga, chief clinical officer and senior vice president of Texas Health Resources, added that mistakes were made in giving inaccurate information to the public, adding that he was "deeply sorry."
He also admitted there was no actual Ebola training for staff before the first patient arrived.