A senior official of the Texas hospital system has said "we made mistakes" in diagnosing a Liberian man who had Ebola and later died.
Dr. Daniel Varga, chief clinical officer and senior vice president of Texas Health Resources, added that mistakes were made in giving inaccurate information to the public, adding that he was "deeply sorry."
He also admitted there was no actual Ebola training for staff before the first patient arrived.
A hospital in Dallas where two health workers have contracted Ebola has set up a room for employees who are worried about spreading the virus to friends and family.
The Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital emphasised that the room was not intended for any of the staff who are being official monitored after treating Ebola victim Thomas Eric Duncan. These staff are being treated in a separate part of the hospital.
Texas Health Dallas is offering a room to any of our impacted employees who would like to stay here to avoid even the remote possibility of any potential exposure to family, friends and the broader public.
We are doing this for our employees’ peace of mind and comfort.
This is not a medical recommendation.
A man who flew from Liberia to Texas has become the first patient infected with the deadly Ebola virus to be diagnosed in the United States, health officials said.
The patient sought treatment six days after arriving in Texas on September 20th, Dr. Thomas Frieden, director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, told reporters.
He was admitted two days later to an isolation room at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas.
On Tuesday, Frieden and other health authorities said they were taking every step possible to ensure the virus did not spread widely.
Hong Nguyen, 34, heard cries while running in a quiet area of Houston before discovering missing Genesis Haley abandoned in the brush.Read the full story ›
Authorities in Texas have set fire to a luxury mansion that was teetering on the edge of a cliff.Read the full story ›
Seven-year-old twin boys fought off a car thief after he tried to drive away with them and their baby sister in San Antonio, Texas.
Luis and Lucius Lozada were inside the family car parked outside their home when their mother went inside briefly to get a baby bottle.
A man jumped into the car and started driving it away, but one of the twins kicked the car thief from behind, while the other hit him with a toy snake.
The man released the three children about a mile from their home. So far no one has been arrested.
A car driver has survived a head on crash with a cement truck that careered across a busy road as he drove to work. Dr. Guan Zhu, a professor at Texas A&M University, said he "couldn't remember" the moment of the collisions when he stared death in the face.
He told US television channel CBS News: "I could not remember. My memory was 'a truck is coming'. I could not remember exactly how it happened.
"It turned 45 degrees before it hit my vehicle."
He walked away with minor injuries from the crash which left only his bonnet dented. The truck spilled its cement all over the road and it took crews several hours to clean up the mess.
The cement truck driver escaped major injuries and was given a ticket at the scene.
The three decorated soldiers killed in the Fort Hood shootings have been named as Sgt. 1st class Daniel Michael Ferguson, Staff Sgt. Carlos A. Lazaney-Rodriguez and Sgt. Timothy Wayne Owens.
Thirty-nine-year-old Sgt Ferguson, listed as living in Mulberry, Florida, served in Kuwait, Iraq and Afghanistan, Fort Hood said in a press statement.
Staff Sgt Lazaney-Rodriguez, 38, had served in Kuwait and Iraq. He is listed as coming from Aguadilla, Puerto Rico.
Staff Sgt. Timothy Wayne Owens, 37, of Effingham, Illinois, served as a heavy vehicle driver in Iraq and Kuwait.
The statement added: "Circumstances surrounding this incident are currently under investigation by the US Army Criminal Investigation Division."
Ivan Lopez, a 34-year-old soldier battling mental illness, is suspected of killing the three men and wounding 16 others at Fort Hood on Wednesday.
The incident marks the second mass shooting in five years at the massive Army base.
Fort Hood gunman Iván López posted a chilling Facebook status weeks before his deadly rampage in which he said the "devil" had taken him and that he was “full of hatred,” Fox News Latino reported.
López, 34, killed three people and injured 16 others before taking his own life after opening fire at the sprawling army base in Texas.
The post dated March 1 told of his anger at being apparently robbed:
"I have just lost my inner peace, full of hatred, I think this time the devil will take me," López posted on his Facebook page, which has since been taken down.
"I was robbed last night and I am sure it was 2 “flacos” (guys). Green light and finger ready. As easy as that."
He did not see combat during a tour in Iraq three years ago but was undergoing treatment for depression and anxiety, NBC reported.
Fort Hood's commanding officer has praised an unnamed female officer present at the Fort Hood shootings for her "heroism".
Speaking at a press conference, Lieutenant General Mark Milley confirmed that the woman had fired shots during the attack.
He added that one chaplain had "shielded and saved" some soldiers who were under fire.