Live updates

Sun journalist guilty over payments to police officer

A Sun journalist has been found guilty of getting story tips from a police officer.

Anthony France will be sentenced later this month. Credit: Getty

Crime reporter Anthony France, 41, started a "corrupt relationship" with Pc Timothy Edwards over four years.

While working at Heathrow Airport in SO15 counter-terrorism command, PC Edwards, 49, sold 38 stories and tit-bits of information to the journalist in exchange for more than £22,000.

The court heard that Edwards passed on details ranging from airline pilots being breathalysed to a drunken model flying into a rage after "catching her boyfriend romping with a woman next to him".

Mr France will be sentenced on May 29.


MoD official's leaked scoops to The Sun 'contemptible'

Bettina Jordan-Barber, a senior official at the Ministry of Defence who leaked scoops to The Sun, gave the newspaper details about the death of Major Matthew Bacon, who was killed in Iraq in 2005.

His father Roger Bacon told ITV News Correspondent Paul Davies that Jordan-Barber's actions were "contemptible":

Shanahan: 'Terrible ordeal' for families of Sun journalists

The Sun's executive editor Fergus Shanahan, 60, said despite the acquittal of four journalists at the Old Bailey their families had been through a "terrible ordeal".

After hugging supporters outside court, Mr Shanahan said: "Obviously I'm very grateful to the jury for taking such time over the verdict. They put an enormous amount of thought into it."

The Sun's executive editor Fergus Shanahan. Credit: PA

He said the issues that the jurors in the case had to deal with were complicated and "complex".

The executive editor told reporters that the trial had been a "terrible ordeal" for the families of the people involved.

While journalists may have "thick skin" and "can look after ourselves", the loved ones had been put under "the most appalling strain for three years", he said.

The journalist added that his thoughts were with colleagues facing trial in the future and he expressed the hope that there would be a "sensible result, a right result".

Kay: 'I'm very, very upset a Sun source ended up in jail'

Sun chief reporter John Kay - one of four journalists acquitted at the Old Bailey - said he was "very, very upset" a trusted source of the Sun newspaper had been jailed.

Sun chief reporter John Kay. Credit: +A

Thanking family and friends who stood by him Mr Kay, 71, said: "It's a great relief that a three-year ordeal is over.

"I just hope that this result bears fruit for other colleagues in a similar predicament."

Asked about his source Bettina Jordan-Barber, who was jailed for a year after pleading guilty, he said: "I'm very, very upset that a trusted source of the Sun ended up in jail as a result of betrayal by my own company."


Call to end 'witch hunt' against newspaper journalists

Calls for a "witch hunt" against newspaper journalists to end came amid emotional scenes outside court when four senior Sun journalists were cleared of wrongdoing over payments to public officials for stories.

Royal editor Duncan Larcombe. Credit: PA

I'm not going to say much but 1,060 days ago eight policemen raided my house at six in the morning.

There is no celebration while this witch hunt continues against my colleagues who are still facing the nightmare that I hopefully one day will wake up from.

– Royal editor Duncan Larcombe

Royal editor Duncan Larcombe appeared tearful as he left the Old Bailey with his arm around his wife who had supported him throughout the trial. Asked if he thought charges against other journalists should be dropped, he said: "Of course I think that, but this is all I'm really allowed to say." The 39-year-old journalist said he was "just relieved" at the verdict.

Sun journalists cleared of paying public officials

Four senior journalists from The Sun, including chief reporter John Kay and royal editor Duncan Larcombe, have been cleared at the Old Bailey of paying public officials for stories.

Sun deputy editor Geoff Webster, 55. Credit: PA

Kay, 71, and Larcombe, 39, were found not guilty of wrongdoing over their contact with two military sources between 2004 and 2012.

The Sun's executive editor Fergus Shanahan, 60, and deputy editor Geoff Webster, 55, were also cleared over allegations that they signed off payments.

All the defendants had denied the charges against them.

Labour councillor resigns over Miliband Sun photo

Liverpool Labour councillor has resigned from the party in protest at Ed Miliband’s support for The Sun newspaper.

Cllr Martin Cummins, who represents Croxteth, told the Liverpool Echo that the Labour leader's picture holding up The Sun newspaper had “rocked me to my core”

His resignation letter said:

We are the the party of truth, justice and equality and we must stop compromising on our moral foundation just to win votes.

It is therefore with sadness and sincere regret that I am resigning from the Labour Party.

I pray that my brothers and sisters within our Labour family will understand my decision.

Miliband apologises for posing with a copy of The Sun

Ed Miliband angered Labour figures in Liverpool after posing with a copy of the Sun Credit: Reuters

Ed Miliband has apologised after posing with a copy of The Sun, distributed for free in Liverpool to mark the start of the World Cup.

Labour figures in the city expressed anger at his action for failing to take account of continuing fury over the tabloid's coverage of the Hillsborough disaster.

"Ed Miliband was promoting England's bid to win the World Cup and is proud to do so," a spokesman for the party leader said.

"But he understands the anger that is felt towards The Sun over Hillsborough by many people and he is sorry to those who feel offended."

Load more updates