A terror suspect who went missing after changing into a burqa at a mosque has launched an appeal against measures taken against him "to protect the public".
Mohammed Ahmed Mohamed, 27, who allegedly received al Qaida-linked terrorist training in 2008, disappeared in November last year while disguised as a woman.
Although his whereabouts are currently unknown, he has been granted legal aid and his lawyers are asking Court of Appeal judges to quash High Court orders made in October 2012 upholding the Home Secretary's decision to restrict his movements.
Mohamed is appealing jointly with a second terror suspect, referred to only as CF, who is said to have attempted in 2008 to travel to Afghanistan to engage in suicide operations.
The appeals are being contested by Home Secretary Theresa May.
MPs have heard details of the history of the terror suspect who escaped surveillance last week disguised under a burqa.
Charles Farr, Director of the Office for Security and Counter-Terrorism, told the Home Affairs committee that after arriving in the UK in March 2011, Mohammed Ahmed Mohamed was arrested and bailed three times in the space of two years:
Oct 2011: arrested for 14 breaches of control order. Allowed delayed prosecution until after a review.
Dec 2012: arrested again, for six breaches of Tpim. Remanded in custody and again released on bail.
July 2013: arrested again and remanded in custody. Again allowed delayed prosecution in August.
The Home Affairs Committee is hearing evidence from David Anderson, the independent reviewer of terror laws. Anderson says Terrorism Prevention and Investigation Measures are not a foolproof way of keeping the population safe, adding:
"I'm troubled by the fact that there are cases which can't be prosecuted at all."
Fugitive terror suspect Mohammed Ahmed Mohamed - who escaped surveillance by dressing in a burqa - was granted bail in April at the Old Bailey after spending four months remanded in custody for allegedly breaching controls imposed on him, the Crown Prosecution Service said today.
A High Court ruling has today revealed on-the-run terror suspect Mohammed Ahmed Mohamed is seeking compensation from the government over alleged torture in Somaliland.
The action was initiated before the 27-year-old evaded surveillance last Friday.
Mr Justice Irwin, sitting at London's High Court, handed down an interim ruling in the action he is bringing for compensation - the first ruling on the use of the Justice and Security Act 2013 in a civil claim for damages.
His claim is against the Foreign Office, Home Office, Ministry of Defence and the Attorney General.
He and another man, referred to as "CF", allege the British authorities consented to - or acquiesced in - their detention by the Somaliland authorities on January 14 2011.
The men say British "officers and agents... by their acts and omissions, procured, induced, encouraged or directly caused, or were otherwise complicit in" their detention, assault and mistreatment and torture while they were in Somaliland.
Mohamed launched his damages claim under a cloak of anonymity and was referred to in court papers as "MA". But anonymity was lifted today following his disappearance.