A High Court ruling has today revealed on-the-run terror suspect Mohammed Ahmed Mohamed is seeking compensation from the government over alleged torture in Somaliland.
The action was initiated before the 27-year-old evaded surveillance last Friday.
Mr Justice Irwin, sitting at London's High Court, handed down an interim ruling in the action he is bringing for compensation - the first ruling on the use of the Justice and Security Act 2013 in a civil claim for damages.
His claim is against the Foreign Office, Home Office, Ministry of Defence and the Attorney General.
He and another man, referred to as "CF", allege the British authorities consented to - or acquiesced in - their detention by the Somaliland authorities on January 14 2011.
The men say British "officers and agents... by their acts and omissions, procured, induced, encouraged or directly caused, or were otherwise complicit in" their detention, assault and mistreatment and torture while they were in Somaliland.
Mohamed launched his damages claim under a cloak of anonymity and was referred to in court papers as "MA". But anonymity was lifted today following his disappearance.
On-the-run terror suspect Mohammed Ahmed Mohamed is currently seeking damages from the Government in a human rights legal challenge involving allegations of torture, it was revealed at the High Court today.
Terror suspect Mohammed Ahmed Mohamed cut off his own monitoring tag with a sharp object before fleeing, it has been reported.
According to the BBC, the tag - imposed as part of a terrorism prevention measure - issued a "tamper alert" to its makers, the private security firm G4S.
They rang the suspect and contacted the Home Office after he failed to answer. Police were alerted but he had fled.
The suspect has been on the run since last Friday after evading surveillance by leaving a London mosque wearing a burqa that covered his face and body.
ITV News understands the 27-year-old has attended an Al-Shabaab training camp and fought for them on the front line in Somalia. He has also helped those from the UK travelling to Somalia to train.
Somali-born Mohammed has also been involved with the procuring of weapons and played a role in planning attacks on Somalia and overseas.
Boris Johnson has questioned whether burqas should be allowed in British classrooms and courts, but stopped short of suggesting a ban altogether.
The debate into the full-face veil has reopened after terror suspect Mohammed Ahmed Mohammed managed to evade surveillance by leaving a London mosque wearing a burqa that covered his face and body.
"I certainly think it's a bit much to ask teachers or judges to deal with people who have their faces covered," he told listeners to his regular phone-in on LBC.
"That seems to me to not be how we do things in this country and it is absolutely reasonable to say that face veils, burkas, whatever, should not be acceptable in state-funded classrooms in this country and nor should they be acceptable in the system of British justice."
However, the London Mayor stated his belief that authorities should not ban items of dress altogether, and suggested that you "might as well ban balaclavas and ski masks" if the burqa was banned.
London Mayor Boris Johnson has called for tougher controls over terror suspects after the "absurd" escape of Mohammed Ahmed Mohammed who managed to evade surveillance by wearing a burqa.
Mr Johnson told LBC radio that it was clear that Terrorism Prevention and Investigation Measures (Tpims) were not working as they should if a "fellow can get into a burqa and evade his invigilators".
The mayor said it was clear to him - though unconfirmed by the police - that Mohamed had been able to contact supporters to help him escape, despite being under the order.
"This guy Mohamed was obviously helped to escape. I don't believe for a minute that he did it on his own. He was in contact with people who are sympathisers."
"Characters such as him - and even if he doesn't pose an immediate threat to this country, it is plain he is a danger - should be more closely invigilated than they currently are and I am sure that is a point that Theresa May will be taking up very actively."
Mr Johnson blamed "coalition politics" for watering down the previous control order system and urged Home Secretary Theresa May to be tough with the Liberal Democrats over the policy.
Terror suspect Mohammed Ahmed Mohamed is believed to have been cleared of tampering with his electronic monitoring tag on the day he went missing from a mosque, the Press Association reported
It is understood the 27-year-old Somalian Mohammed was cleared at the Old Bailey of tampering with his tag on the day he disappeared, disguised as a burqa-wearing woman to escape surveillance.
The independent reviewer of terrorism legislation had revealed that criminal charges were dropped on Friday against a number of Terrorism Prevention and Investigation Measures (Tpim) subjects for allegedly tampering with security tags, but did not specify whether Mohamed was one of those involved.
The Crown Prosecution Service would not comment on named individuals but said in a statement that the cases of three Tpim subjects had recently been discontinued. There were outstanding alleged offences against one of the three, known as CC, who is due to stand trial in April, they added.
Shopkeeper Sunny Kapoor has told ITV News missing terror suspect Mohammed Ahmed Mohamed bought five mobile sim cards from him in two weeks.
He said: "When you showed me the photo I recognised the person because last week he came to me and buy [sic] a couple of mobile simcards…
"...First he came one day and buy from me two sim cards and second time he came for two and third time he came for another mobile sim card. Five sim cards from me. Recently, in the last couple of weeks."
Leaders of the Annoor Cultural and Community Centre in Acton, where terror suspect Mohammed Ahmed Mohamed evaded surveillance officers, by leaving the centre wearing a burqa covering his face and body, have given a statement to the media.
Juma Biahari, who sits on the management committee of the mosque said: "We want to place on record the recent incident bears no semblance to the work we do as an organisation for the development of the community at large."
Lord Carlile - formerly an independent reviewer of terrorism - says increased surveillance was promised by the Government under the new Tpim system but this has "plainly failed" following the disappearance of terror suspect Mohammed Ahmed Mohamed.