Live updates

Advertisement

'Three dead' after clashes near Tunisia-Libya border

At least three people have been killed during clashes at the Tunisia-Libya border. Credit: Reuters/Ismail Zitouny

At least three people, including a 12-year-old girl, have been killed during violent clashes near the Tunisia-Libyan border, Tunisia's Interior Ministry has said.

Ministry spokesman Yasser Mosbah said gunmen attacked a police station and military facilities in the early hours of Monday morning. He said security forces killed several assailants.

Authorities are hunting a number of attackers who are still at large.

The ministry urged residents in the area around Ben Guerdane in eastern Tunisia, to stay indoors.

'Bodies under rubble' after US airstrike on IS camp

The local mayor of a Libyan town hit by US airstrikes which reportedly killed at least 40 people says more bodies could be buried underneath the rubble.

Video report by ITV News correspondent Juliet Bremner

US planes took off from RAF Lakenheath in Suffolk, to target what was thought to be an Islamic State training camp in Sabratha, near the capital of Tripoli.

Tunisian militant Noureddine Chouchane was believed to have been killed -Chouchane was thought to have directed the of attacks on holidaymakers at the Tunisian beach resort in Sousse in June which left 38 people dead

Pictures reveal aftermath of US airstrikes in Libya

At least 41 people have been killed - many of them suspected Islamist militants - in US airstrikes targeting a terror suspect linked to two massacres in Tunisia last year.

Credit: Sabratha Municipal Council

Pictures released by the Sabratha Municipal Council reveal the devastation caused by the operation, which was carried out at around 3.30am local time and left six others injured.

The Mayor of Sabratha said the majority of those killed were Tunisians, including 30 suspected members of the so-called Islamic State militant group.

Credit: Sabratha Municipal Council

Believed to have been among them was senior Tunisian militant Noureddine Chouchane.

Chouchane is thought to have masterminded both the terror attack on the Bardo Museum in March last year, which killed 22 people, and the attack on a beach resort in Sousse in June which left 38 people dead.

Credit: Sabratha Municipal Council

Advertisement

Terrorist behind Tunisia beach attack believed to have been killed in US airstrikes

A terrorist behind the attack on a Tunisian beach resort last June that left 30 Britons dead is believed to have been killed in US airstrikes.

Noureddine Chouchane has been linked to the massacre in Tunisia Credit: Tunisian authorities

The US reportedly bombed an Islamic State camp in Libya this morning where approximately 40 people were killed - including senior Tunisian militant Noureddine Chouchane.

Chouchane is suspected of being behind two attacks, including one on a beach resort in Sousse where 38 people died. The majority of those were British holidaymakers.

Today's air strikes hit the training camp in Sabratha, around 43 miles west of Tripoli.

Based at a farmhouse, the camp was targeted at approximately 3.30am local time - where 30 suspected ISIS recruits were killed.

The mayor of Sabratha put the death toll at 41, and said the majority of those killed were Tunisians.

US airstrikes hit Islamic State camp in Libya

A file photo of US aircraft on a raid against Islamic State targets. Credit: Reuters

A camp belonging to the so-called Islamic State in Libya has been hit by US airstrikes, according to reports.

The raid was targeting a senior Tunisian militant, Noureddine Chouchane, who is linked to two attacks in Tunisia last year.

As many as 40 people may have been killed, the mayor of the western Libyan city of Sabrathan told the Reuters news agency.

"We are assessing the results of the operation and will provide additional information as and when appropriate," a spokesman for the US defence department said.

Elsewhere in the fight against IS, US-led coalition airstrikes conducted 22 strikes against the militants in Iraq and Syria on Thursday.

IS claim responsibility for Tunisia bus bombing

So-called Islamic State have reportedly claimed responsibility for the deadly bus bombing in Tunisia.

14 people were killed and 11 wounded on November 24 after an explosion hit a bus carrying military presidential guards in Tunisia.

Load more updates