Live updates

Turkish military pulls soldiers out from Syrian tomb

The border city of Kobane lies about 35km from the tomb of Suleyman Shah. Credit: Sebastian Backhaus/DPA/Press Association Images

The Turkish military launched an operation into Syria on Saturday night to evacuate Turkish soldiers who were guarding the Suleyman Shah tomb, sources told Reuters news agency.

The Turkish government said late last year that Islamic State militants were advancing on the mausoleum, which is guarded by several dozen Turkish soldiers.

The tomb was made Turkish territory under a treaty signed with France in 1921, when France ruled Syria. Turkey regards it as sovereign territory and had repeatedly vowed to defend it from any attack by the insurgents.

Advertisement

Turkish president vows 'heavy' punishment after killing

The President of Turkey has vowed to punish attackers who stabbed and beat a woman to death when she tried to fight off a man trying to rape her, amid calls for the death penalty to be reinstated in response to the case.

Describing violence against women as the "bleeding wound" of the country, President Tayyip Erdogan said he would "go all out" to make sure the perpetrators were handed "the heaviest sentences".

Ozgecan Aslan was travelling home on a minibus when she was attacked Credit: Reuters

The woman, named as 20-year-old Ozgecan Aslan, was travelling home on a minibus in Mersin province on February 11 when a man tried to rape her.

Reports state when she retaliated with pepper spray, he stabbed and beat her to death with an iron bar, before enlisting two others - believed to be his father and a friend - to help dispose of the body.

The attack has sparked protests across the country Credit: Reuters

Three people, including a 26-year-old man, have been arrested.

The brutal killing has sparked protests across Turkey, with women nationwide wearing black and the hashtags #sendeanlat and #OzgecanAslan trending worldwide.

Some politicians have also spoken out to say they believe the death penalty should be reinstated.

Advertisement

'At least 24 migrants' die in Black Sea boat sinking

Seven coast guard vessels, a team of divers, one helicopter, two police vessels and numerous fishing boats were assisting in the search-and-rescue operation. Credit: Reuters

A boat carrying suspected refugees from Afghanistan and Syria has sunk off the coast of Turkey, killing at least 24.

Turkish authorities say coastguard vessels, nearby fishing boats and divers are searching the area for more survivors. 24 bodies have been recovered, and seven people rescued. It is not yet known how many souls were on board the stricken vessel or what caused it to sink.

Turkish authorities say the boat went down three miles north of the Bosphorus Straight in the Black Sea.

Operation under way to save trapped miners in Turkey

A rescue operation is continuing at the mouth of a mine in southern Turkey after 19 miners became trapped underground.

What appeared to be an air pump was in use at the scene following reports that part of the mine had been flooded.

The rescue operation at the mouth of the mine in the town of Ermenek in southern Turkey Credit: Reuters
What appears to be an air oump and pipe system leading to the shaft Credit: Reuters
Rescue workers at the mouth of the shaft Credit: EBU

At least 19 still trapped after Turkish mine collapse

At least 19 miners remain trapped after a flood inside a coal mine caused it to collapse, according to local media reports.

Rescue teams were dispatched to the mine in the town of Emerek around 70 miles north of Turkey's Mediterranean coastline.

The collapse is believed to have been caused after water that had built up inside the mine flooded into areas where the workers had been located.

Karaman Governor Murat Koca told Turkey's Dogan News Agency (DHA): "The water accumulated underground has flooded into the gallery. According to initial reports 25 workers have been saved while 19 workers remain trapped."

The flood occurred shortly after midday about 300 meters below ground, DHA said.

Turkey's worst ever mining disaster took place less than six months ago in the western town of Soma, where 301 workers were killed.

Load more updates