Tyson Fury's boxing licence will be reinstated if the former world heavyweight champion passes his medical.
The decision by the British Boxing Board of control will enable Fury to resume his career, edging him closer towards a domestic showdown with Anthony Joshua.
"Following (an) interview with Tyson Fury at the BBBC offices earlier today, the suspension of his boxer's licence will be lifted subject to receipt and clearance of all medical requirements," a statement read.
Tyson Fury has had no contact with the British Boxing Board of Control, despite insisting he is to "reapply" for his boxer's licence.
The heavyweight, 29, was last month cleared to return to the ring by UK Anti-Doping after an absence of over two years, following his acceptance of a backdated two-year ban over a positive test for a banned steroid.
His licence was suspended by the BBBC in October 2016 owing to "anti-doping and medical issues" and he will need to be assessed by the governing body before it considers lifting that suspension. Fury has not yet been in touch to arrange an assessment date.
BBBC general secretary Robert Smith told Press Association Sport: "Fury has a licence but it's suspended. We haven't heard from him, and until we hear from him there is no decision to make."
Fury had written on social media: "Applying for my boxing licence today, will be defending my Ring Magazine title in April. Can't wait to get back in the ring."
Suggestions persist that Fury could yet consider pursuing a licence with a separate governing body.
Press Association Sport understands that boxing promoter Mick Hennessy, who helped guide Fury to the IBF, WBA and WBO heavyweight titles, is meeting with the BBBC on Wednesday afternoon but regarding a separate issue.
Anthony Joshua is ready to "rock and roll" with Tyson Fury whenever the former Heavyweight champion wants to get in the ring with him.Read the full story ›
Tyson Fury could have his boxing licence reinstated by the British Boxing Board of Control when its stewards meet in January.
UK Anti-Doping has cleared the 29-year-old heavyweight to return, after an absence of over two years, following his acceptance of a backdated two-year ban over a positive test for a banned steroid.
The former world heavyweight champion, who has denied any wrongdoing, has spoken of his desire to "reclaim the world titles which are rightfully mine" but can only again box with the permission of the BBBC.
The BBBC announced on Wednesday: "Tyson Fury's boxing licence suspension will be considered by the stewards of the board in January."
Tyson Fury fired a warning to Anthony Joshua after reaching a compromise deal with UK Anti-Doping which has paved the way for his returnRead the full story ›
Tyson Fury is free to resume his boxing career after a compromise on his positive test for the banned steroid nandrolone was found with UK Anti-Doping.
The former world heavyweight champion has been cleared to fight again immediately, subject to receiving a licence, after getting a two-year ban which has been backdated to December 2015.
"In recognition of the respective counter-arguments and the risks inherent in the dispute resolution process, each side has accepted a compromise of its position," a statement released by UKAD read.
Tyson Fury will "put the nightmare of the last two years behind me" and return to boxing in 2018 aiming "to reclaim the world titles which are rightfully mine", the former heavyweight champion said after being cleared to resume his career by UK Anti-Doping.
Tyson Fury's much-delayed UK Anti-Doping hearing has resumed in London on Monday, although a verdict is not expected until the new yearRead the full story ›
Tyson Fury believes a bout between himself and Anthony Joshua would resemble Muhammad Ali's 'Rumble in the Jungle' with George ForemanRead the full story ›
Tyson Fury has claimed that Eddie Hearn has already booked Wembley Stadium next year in preparation for a fight with Anthony Joshua.
The 28-year-old is targeting a comeback fight on July 8, providing he overturns a suspended drugs ban at a UK Anti-Doping (UKAD) hearing which opens on Monday.
Fury has not fought since beating Wladimir Klitschko for the world heavyweight titles in November 2015, due to a combination of drug issues and mental health concerns.
But in the wake of Joshua's stunning 11th-round knockout win over Klitschko at Wembley last month, Fury has returned to training and is intent on securing an all-British super-fight with the new champion and has revealed that Joshua's promoter Hearn has pencilled in a fight in April 2018.
Eddie Hearn has already booked Wembley Stadium for next April.
There isn't another stadium where it should take place. I would fight Joshua in October but I believe Klitschko will take the rematch.
Deep down, I don't think they want to fight me yet. Joshua struggled with Klitschko. And I took Klitschko to school, toyed with him, put my hands behind my back, literally, while he was letting his cannons go, slipping out of the way of them. They are not ready for that.
A lot of people have picked AJ to beat me, but I've said many times that we are in a sport called "the sweet science" and it's not a body-building contest or a strongman competition. Joshua is an easy fight for me.
Tyson Fury's boxing licence has been suspended pending further investigation into "anti-doping and medical issues"Read the full story ›