Live updates

FC Copenhagen charged over fireworks at Leicester City

Copenhagen fans at the King Power Stadium. Credit: PA

UEFA has opened disciplinary proceedings against FC Copenhagen after the Danish club's fans set off fireworks during their 1-0 Champions League defeat at Leicester City.

European football's governing body has been cracking down on the use of fireworks, flares and smoke bombs by supporters, with Celtic, Liverpool and Manchester City among the clubs recently fined or warned.

A statement posted on UEFA's official website said FC Copenhagen had been charged for "the setting off of fireworks - article 16 (2) of the UEFA disciplinary regulations" on Tuesday night. UEFA will hear the case on November 17th.


FA to back Van Praag in Uefa presidential race

The Football Association has announced its support for Michael van Praag in the race to replace Michel Platini as Uefa president at next week's extraordinary congress in Athens.

The 68-year-old Dutch football boss is up against the relatively unknown Slovenian Aleksander Ceferin, after Spain's Angel Maria Villar Llona quit the contest on Tuesday.

David Gill, FA vice-chairman and Uefa executive committee member, said English football's governing body had decided to back Van Praag after careful consideration of the candidates.

Michael van Praag has the FA's support. Credit: PA

While we note Angel Maria Villar Llona's withdrawal overnight and fully respect Aleksander Ceferin's credentials, we have agreed to support Michael van Praag.

He is someone we have come to know very well and worked closely with in recent years, particularly because of our shared commitment to securing Fifa reform.

As Uefa president, Mr Van Praag would be able to provide the strong and credible leadership European football requires at a crucial moment for the global game.

– David Gill

Slovenian FA boss a contender to replace Platini at Uefa

Platini will formally step down at an extraordinary general meeting in Athens in September. Credit: PA

Slovenian Football Association boss Aleksander Ceferin has emerged as a contender to replace Michel Platini as the next president of European football's governing body, Uefa.

Platini will formally step down at an extraordinary general meeting in Athens in September after the Frenchman failed to overturn his ban from all football activities at the Court of Arbitration for Sport last week.

That prompted speculation about who might replace him with the early favourites including acting general secretary Theodore Theodoridis from Greece, veteran Dutch FA boss Michael van Praag and Spanish football chief Angel Maria Villar.

But Press Association Sport has learned that 48-year-old Ceferin has already been asked by several FAs to put himself forward for what many expect to be a tight race.

It is understood that Ceferin wants to hear more details from Wednesday's meeting about the election calendar, format and likely rivals before committing to run.

A practising lawyer who has specialised in sport, Ceferin joined the board of Slovenian champions Olimpija Ljubljana in 2006 and became president of the Slovenian FA, NZS, in 2011.

Platini has football suspension reduced

Michel Platini has had two years taken off his ban. Credit: PA

Michel Platini's ban from football has been reduced from six to four years by the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Platini, alongside ex-Fifa president Sepp Blatter were originally suspended for eight years by world football's governing body over a two million Swiss francs payment, worth around £1.4m at current exchange rates, made by Blatter to Platini in 2011.

These bans were reduced in February to six years before the latest verdict on Monday.

The Frenchman's lawyer confirmed he would resign from his role as Uefa president in the coming days.

I take note of today's decision by the Court of Arbitration for Sport but I see it as a profound injustice.

This decision imposes upon me a suspension which will prevent me, coincidentally, to present myself at the next Fifa presidential election.

As agreed with the national associations, I resign from my position of president of Uefa in order to continue my fight before the Swiss courts to prove my probity in this matter. Life always has nice surprises in reserve, I am henceforth available to live.

– Michel Platini

Goal-line technology to be used in Uefa finals

Uefa will use goal-line technology at both finals. Credit: PA

Goal-line technology will be used during this season's Champions League and Europa League finals.

UEFA's executive committee met on Friday at the governing body's headquarters in Nyon, Switzerland where it was decided the technology should be used for the showpiece matches, which will be played in Milan on May 28 and in Basle on May 18 respectively.

A decision had already been announced in January that the technology would be in place for Euro 2016 this summer and in next season's Champions League from the play-off round onwards. At that time UEFA also said it would look at the feasibility of introducing goal-line technology from the group stage of the Europa League starting in 2017-18.


2016 Champions League final ticket allocation revealed

This season's two Champions League finalists will be allocated just 20,000 tickets each for the game at the San Siro, Uefa has announced.

Barcelona and Juventus received a similar allocation last season. Credit: PA

The home of AC Milan and Inter Milan has a capacity of 71,500 for the final of Europe's premier club competition and will stage the match on Saturday, May 28.

However, supporters from the two clubs who reach the final will make up little more than half the total attendance after some tickets went on sale on Tuesday.

Uefa confirmed each finalist would receive 20,000 tickets for the contest and a further 6,000 would be made available to the general public via Uefa's official website, with tickets in four price categories ranging from 440 euros (£343) to 70 euros (£55).

The governing body said the remaining 25,500 tickets would be designated to the "local organising committee, Uefa and national associations, commercial partners and broadcasters, and to serve the corporate hospitality programme".

Last year, when the final between Barcelona and Juventus was hosted in Berlin, the two clubs also received 20,000 tickets each amongst a capacity crowd of 70,500. In 2014 in Lisbon Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid were allocated just 17,000 tickets each for a game staged in front of a 61,000 capacity crowd.

Platini continues to be paid by Uefa despite ban

Michel Platini will be paid his salary by Uefa "until further notice" despite having been banned from football-related activity for eight years, the European governing body has revealed.

The confirmation comes after it was revealed that outgoing Fifa president Sepp Blatter, who has also been banned, will receive his Fifa salary until the election of his successor on February 26.

Platini will carry on being paid. Credit: PA

Uefa said it would not disclose suspended president Platini's salary, nor that of general secretary Gianni Infantino.

A Uefa statement said: "Mr Platini is receiving a salary from Uefa, and will continue to do so until further notice. Individual salaries are of a confidential nature and therefore are not disclosed."

Platini and Blatter were banned for eight years last month by Fifa's ethics committee over a £1.3million payment made to the Frenchman in 2011 - he and Blatter said it was to settle an oral agreement made nearly 13 years previously when he worked as Fifa's technical advisor.

Platini to avoid punishment for attending awards ceremony

Platini is banned from "all activity" within the sport. Credit: PA

UEFA president Michel Platini looks set to avoid punishment for attending a football awards ceremony in Dubai even though he is banned from "all activity" within the sport.

Last week Platini was barred from football for eight years after being found guilty of receiving an improper payment of two million Swiss Francs (£1.36million) from FIFA president Sepp Blatter, who received the same punishment. Both men are appealing the decision.

In the meantime, Platini has been pictured attending the Globe Soccer Awards by the Dubai Sports Council.

When asked about the Frenchman's appearance at the awards ceremony, FIFA said its disciplinary committee was "monitoring the situation", but would not intervene "for the time being".

Load more updates