Wales was initially reluctant about signing up to the First World War. However, by the end of the war 273,000 Welshmen had fought.
A volunteer lifeboat team was called to an unusual rescue when a nine-year-old girl became trapped between huge rocks on a beach in Wales.
An former nurse at a hospital in Wales has claimed to ITV News she witnessed shocking treatment of patients.
The injuries suffered by an 88-year-old woman at a hospital in south Wales are being treated by police as unexplained after a probe into her subsequent death was launched.
The patient died at Prince Charles Hospital, Merthyr Tydfil after receiving the injuries at Ysbyty Cwm Cynon in Mountain Ash last week.
Police said there was no confirmed link between the injuries and the woman's death at present.
Ten members of staff have been suspended after the death of an elderly woman.
The 88-year-old woman died at Prince Charles Hospital in Merthyr Tydfil today after suffering an "unexplained and serious injury" at Ysbyty Cwm Cynon in Mountain Ash last Thursday.
Cwm Taf University Health Board say the staff were on duty the night before and the morning after the injuries were sustained. It added the suspensions are a "precautionary measure".
South Wales Police say they are investigating and four people are assisting officers with their enquiries.
A spokesperson for Cwm Taf University Health Board said:
'On Thursday morning, as part of routine patient care, a patient at Ysbyty Cwm Cynon was identified as having an unexplained injury.
'Appropriate arrangements were made for transfer to Prince Charles Hospital in Merthyr Tydfil. As is always the case in such a situation, the Health Board initiated a multi-agency strategy meeting to be held to consider the circumstances. This took place the following day.
'Staff on duty at the time are in the process of being interviewed to assist the investigation and the family have been kept fully informed of the situation.'
The health board added it has not made any link between the patient's injuries and her death.
A post-mortem is due to take place tomorrow.
Welsh people can now officially get behind the England football team this summer, after the government extended late pub opening hours to the country for the Three Lions' World Cup games.
The Home Secretary announced in March that licensing hours could be extended across England to allow them to screen the team's opening game against Italy, which kicks off at 11pm on June 14.
England's two other group matches against Uruguay and Costa Rica kick off at 8pm and 5pm respectively, but if the team reach the knockout stages with 9pm kick-offs, the relaxation could come into play again in the event of extra time.
After receiving complaints that pubs in Wales should be able to stay open as well, regulations have been laid to allow premises in Wales to apply for a temporary event notice for England's World Cup games.
Crime prevention minister Norman Baker said: "We want everyone to get behind the England football team this summer."
The co-author of today's report into 'unacceptable' standards of care at two South Wales hospitals has told ITV News that it will be a "catastrophe" if all of the report's recommendations are not put in place by this time next year.
There are 14 recommendations to the Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Health Board, and four to the Welsh Government - both organisations have accepted all of them.
There will be an independent review in 12 months' time to see how this action plan has been carried out - and Mark Butler said "this is such a clear plan of action that there is no excuse for this not making the significant improvement that is required in these hospitals."
Speaking to our presenter Jonathan Hill, he insisted the situation here is not the same as at Mid Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust, where hundreds of patients are believed to have died because of poor standards of care over many years.
He said: "Mid Staffs was a catastrophic organisational failure. This is set of local problems that need to be supported out."
Health Minister Mark Drakeford announced this afternoon that spot checks will be held at all district general hospitals in Wales, looking at the standards of care for older people.
He said "the spot checks will focus on the delivery of medication, hydration, night time sedation and continence care. A new task group will lead the operation of the spot checks and report back to the Health Minister."
Speaking to the Senedd this afternoon, he offered an "unreserved apology" to patients and their families "whose care has fallen short of the standard which they had a right to expect."
Professor June Andrews, who led the review into standards of care for older people at the Princess of Wales Hospital and Neath Port Talbot Hospital, commissioned by the Welsh Government, admitted her remit was "quite narrow".
But, she warned: "I often have concerns about the care of older people in hospital everywhere - and I would be wondering whether there would be similar situations happening in other places."
The Chief Executive of Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Health Board has rejected calls from campaigners for him to resign, after a damning report found 'unacceptable' levels of care at two of its hospitals.
Paul Roberts said the report authors and the Health Minister recognise that the current leadership at the health board should stay and "see through improvements to care", and that improvements are being made.
Plaid Cymru health spokesperson Elin Jones says she "wouldn't be surprised" if some of the problems with poor standards of care in the Princess of Wales Hospital and Neath Port Talbot Hospital are "prevalent in other hospitals in Wales."
"The issues that have come out from this report need to be acted on in all hospitals in Wales - and by all health boards."