Live updates

Three people in hospital after gas explosion in Newport

Three people have been taken to hospital after a house was partially destroyed in an apparent gas explosion in Newport, Wales.

At least four fire engines were called to the incident in George Street, Newport. Credit: Google Maps

An eyewitness told the South Wales Argus that he pulled a man from the rubble of the building shortly after the blast on George Street.

Jordan Reynolds said he and a woman dragged the man out of the front window.

A South Wales Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said crews were called to the blast at 7.32pm.

He added: "The cause of the incident is subject to an ongoing investigation by the Police and Wales and West utilities. Three people were taken to hospital".

People in the nearby area were evacuated shortly after the 'serious incident' but it is believed that they are now being allowed to return to their homes.

We were alerted to reports of a gas explosion at a house on George Street in Newport and immediately sent Emergency Engineers to the scene.

We are working alongside the fire service and police to first make the gas supply to the house safe and then to investigate this incident. However, at this early stage it appears to be related to internal gas pipework and not our gas network.

The mains gas network and the supply of gas to other homes and businesses in the area has not been affected by this incident.

– Wales & West Utilities Head of Emergency Service, Clive Book

Advertisement

Reports of 'serious incident' in Newport town centre

At least 25 firefighters and four fire engines are reportedly attending a 'serious incident' in Newport town centre.

According to reports a house has been cordoned off after an apparent gas explosion and people nearby have been asked to leave the area.

South Wales Fire Service said crews were called to the scene at 7.32pm this evening.

It is not known if there are any injuries.

Advertisement

E-cigarette ban proposals defeated in Welsh Assembly

The bill was aimed at restricting the use of e-cigarettes in public places where children are present Credit: PA

Plans to ban the use of e-cigarettes in public places where children are present have been defeated in Wales.

The Public Health (Wales) Bill aimed to restrict the use of nicotine inhaling devices in places such as schools, restaurants and cafes as well as on public transport.

But the contentious legislation, which had faced scrutiny from opposition parties and even some health charities, was defeated by just one vote in the Senedd.

Welsh Lib Dem leader Kirsty Williams said: "Labour's illiberal plan flew in the face of medical evidence. When you've got a whole host of experts and charities like Cancer Research UK against you, you should realise you're on the wrong side of the argument."

Load more updates