More than 80 people arrested in the build-up to a non-league football match have been released on bail. The arrests were in connection with an incident of "violent disorder" ahead of a fixture between home side Nuneaton Town and Lincoln City.
Everyone has now been bailed in connection with the incident. The senior investigating officer will now evaluate what action needs to be taken.
Nuneaton Town Chief Executive Ian Neale says police went to The Granby pub to organise an escort to town for Nuneaton fans, but only three people said they were interested in going to the match:
They were allowed to leave the pub to take a taxi to the ground, which is two miles away from where the arrests were made. The Boro is a family club and people who are looking for trouble are not welcome at our ground. Anyone found guilty of any offences today will be banned from the ground for life.
The club works tremendously hard on community programmes to give young people locally aspiration and opportunities in a working class town and we see ourselves very much part of making positive things happen for the town.
Police began arresting dozens of people on suspicion of violent disorder at The Granby pub in Nuneaton town centre Saturday afternoon.
Police officers responded to reports of disorder at a number of public houses in the town, and were deployed in full protective equipment for their own safety. PSUs (police support units) from three forces were all deployed and were successful in containing the disorder and protecting the safety and well-being of the general public.
I am extremely grateful to our regional colleagues from West Mercia, West Midlands and British Transport Police for their support in this operation - it has been a particularly challenging day. It was important to take a positive approach from the start of the operation and as a result of that, a significant number of people have been arrested for serious offences and will now be processed.
– Chief Inspector Adrian Knight, Warwickshire Police
Speaking to the media outside the court building, Warwickshire's community safety spokesman, councillor Richard Hobbs, apologised for the fire authority's failings.
Mr Hobbs said:
We pleaded guilty to the charge brought under the Health and Safety Act because we recognised and accepted that there were failings on our part back in 2007.
Since then, as the judge emphasised today, Warwickshire has become a model fire authority and our training is some of the finest in the country.
No fire service can guarantee that nothing will ever go wrong again but we are confident that our service is as safe as it can be.We will always remember the bravery of those who died in the service of their community and we offer our deepest condolences to their families and friends.
Explaining how he calculated the level of the fine, Mr Justice MacDuff said:
In my judgment it is entirely clear that the absence of water information had no bearing on this case at all.
There was at all times an adequate water supply and no different course would have been taken if the location, for example, of the nearest hydrants had been known.
As to training, I am equally clear that there can be no causative link, finding as I do that the training deficiencies were largely concerned with records, the decision to begin offensive firefighting was a correct one, and nothing that happened that night would have been affected.