Live updates


Heavily pregnant woman rescued from waist deep mud

A heavily pregnant woman got stuck to her waist in mud and had to be rescued in Weston Super Mare, firefighters said.

A spokesman for Avon Fire and Rescue Service said: "A woman, thought to be eight months pregnant, her partner and a young girl aged around seven, were...assisted to safety. The woman was stuck up to her waist in the mud."

They were among eight people who had to be rescued by Avon Fire and Rescue Service's hovercraft at the popular tourist resort today.

RAF parachutist collides with spectator during display

An 82-year-old woman is in hospital after being hit by an RAF parachutist with the Falcons display team in Weston-super-Mare today.

The RAF Falcons display team in 2012. Credit: PA

An air ambulance took both the parachutist and woman to hospital following the incident at around 1.20pm.

The parachutist was later discharged, while the woman is still being treated for non-life-threatening injuries.

Avon and Somerset Police said "There will be liaison between various agencies to ensure an appropriate investigation into the incident takes place."


Group's 'world record' for 36-hours on a bouncy castle

A group of friends who completed a 36-hour bouncy castle marathon believe they have broken a world record.

File photo of a bouncy castle. Credit: Joe Giddens/EMPICS Sport

The team of eight, from Weston-super-Mare in Somerset, jumped up and down day and night during a rota of 20-minute stints.

Despite being left dizzy and sore by the challenge, they were determined to beat the previous record of 27 hours, set in July last year in Iowa, US. At least one member of the team had to be bouncing at any one time, Guinness World Records rules stated.

The event took place by Weston's Sand Bay and lasted from 8am on Saturday to 8pm on Sunday and dozens of family and friends attend the event to provide support and food.

Personal trainer Kelly Toogood, who was raising money for Weston Hospicecare, said: "At the beginning it was not too bad but then as the hours went on it became harder and harder.

"By Sunday our knees, lower back and legs were hurting. We had to eat so much food to keep going but we had to wait an hour after eating before we could start jumping again. We were bouncing for 20 minutes at a time, then we had a two-hour break.