Wigan council boss Terry Dunn "meant no harm" when he emailed staff about future job losses but went on to describe how he was looking forward to his holidays.
Wigan council released a statement defending the email, saying Mr Dunn enjoyed a close relationship with many of the recipients at risk of losing their job. A spokesman said:
Terry Dunn has been employed by Wigan Council since he was taken on as an apprentice and has worked at virtually every level of the organisation. He has known many of our staff for 20 years.
These are tough times in local government. We're trying to communicate with employees as best we can while we go through difficult changes.
Employees have asked to learn more about senior managers so following that request they've been including personal details about themselves informally in emails. Since this began several months ago, the response from staff has been very positive.
Terry meant no harm and is sorry if he's caused offence on this occasion. He has an excellent record of handling staffing issues seriously and sensitively.
Wigan council boss Terry Dunn has been branded a real-life David Brent after signing off an email about staff cuts by boasting about his holiday and honeymoon plans, The Manchester Evening News reports.
Mr Dunn, head of Wigan council's environment department, wrote to update workers about redundancy plans, but ended the email with a rather detailed update of his own busy social schedule:
"We are now consulting on the final stage of our restructure and you may or may not be directly impacted... If you are involved I can fully appreciate the concerns you will have and just ask for your patience.
"On the home front; off to a punk rock festival in Blackpool this Friday. The Damned, Stiff Little Fingers and the Buzzcocks are amongst the acts playing so those old enough may remember them. I am really looking forward to it as it forms a big part of my past.
"Wedding 6 weeks this Saturday followed by 2 weeks in Fuerteventura!! Can’t wait."
Wigan council needs to cut 200 jobs to save £18.8 million this year, a staff member told the Manchester Evening News. Kevan Nelson from Unison said the comments were ill-advised:
"It is a bit David Brent. He probably meant it well but has underestimated the impact of these changes on his staff.
I recognise there is a style of management where you don’t want to appear overly-autocratic, but talking about your plans when people’s livelihoods are in the balance is not a good idea."
Roberto Martinez was left in no doubt how much Wigan fans want him to stay on as manager as the club celebrated their FA Cup triumph with a parade through the town centre.
The squad and the backroom staff boarded an open-top bus at their Christopher Park training ground before making their way into the Market Place, where thousands of supporters were waiting to welcome them.
The funeral of a schoogirl killed by dogs in near Wigan has taken place in Manchester.Read the full story ›
Police say it is unlikely they will prosecute anybody over the death of Jade Anderson because they could not prove a crime had been committed.
At this stage of the inquiry, we do not have anything evidentially to categorically prove a crime has been committed, therefore it is unlikely at this stage we will be seeking to bring a prosecution.
That is not to say that no prosecution will ever be brought.
The funeral will take place today of Jade Anderson, the 14-year-old girl who was mauled by a pack of dogs near Wigan.
Jade was found at the home of a friend in Atherton, near Wigan, on March 26. Jade was alone when she was attacked by four dogs - believed to be two bull mastiffs and two Staffordshire bull terriers. They were later shot by police marksmen.
Wigan Athletic have reached the FA Cup final for the first time in their history, beating Millwall in a match that was marred by scenes of violence involving fans of the London club.
Shaun Maloney and Callum McManaman scored in a 2-0 win for the Latics, whose victory means the club qualify for Europe.
Millwall fans could be seen fighting each other in the stands throughout the second half of the Wembley semi-final.
A man who snuck into his ex wife’s house in Wigan every week for five years in order to steal cash from his brother-in-law has been given a 12 month prison sentence, suspended for two years.
Bernard Young admitted six counts of fraud by false representation at an earlier hearing.
The victim in this case is a 68-year-old man. Due to him living alone his sister, Young’s ex-wife, became a signatory on his account.
She would make weekly withdrawals of about £160, which she would use to buy his shopping.
Young split from his wife but still had a key to the home.
Over a further three years, Young frequently broke into the house using his key, usually in the early hours of the morning.
He would then take the card, withdraw cash from a nearby ATM and return it straight away.
Over a six year period he stole £30,280, his brother-in-law’s life savings.
Louise Waine has spoken of her trauma when an opportunist thief drove off with a car with her seven-week-old baby on the back seat.Read the full story ›