A Wisconsin woman who had given up all hope of finding her lost wedding ring was shocked when her dog Tucker finally coughed up the diamond.
At least seven people, including a gunman, have been killed in a shooting at a Sikh temple in the US state of Wisconsin, police said.
Helen Collins had never sat behind the controls of a plane and was running out of fuel but she still managed to bring the plane down safely.
A 300-year-old Stradivarius violin worth millions of pounds that was stolen from an orchestra in the US has been recovered by police.
The instrument was taken from the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra's concertmaster in an armed robbery last week, in which violnisit Frank Almond was attacked with a stun gun.
Police found it in a suitcase in the attic of a house in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, law enforcement officials said.
Milwaukee police had arrested two men, aged 36 and 41, and a woman, 32, on Monday in connection with the theft.
"We have very strong confidence that the violin is fine," said Mark Niehaus, the president and executive director of the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra.
Fans of the National Football League's Green Bay Packers risked frostbite in the US state of Wisconsin weather to watch a game amid the lowest temperatures in two decades.
Packers fans dressed in multiple layers of their team's green and gold uniforms were undaunted by a forecast for temperatures, with some bringing along barbecues and bottles of beer.
Officials at the stadium promised fans two free hot cocoa or coffee drinks during the game, sports network ESPN reported.
– Alistair Burt MP, Foreign Office Minister
I was deeply saddened to hear of the shooting in Oak Creek, Wisconsin on Sunday, in which six people were tragically killed at a Sikh Temple. My thoughts go out to the families of those who lost their lives. I wish the injured a swift recovery, including the local police officer who was shot and injured while helping the wounded.
The United States military have confirmed that the Wisconsin temple shooing suspect was discharged from the Army in 1998 for "patterns of misconduct" and was cited for being drunk on duty.
Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has spoken of his shock and sadness after the gun attack at a Sikh temple in the US state of Wisconsin in which six people were killed.
Mr Singh is himself a member of the Sikh faith.
In a statement he said:
That this senseless act of violence should be targeted at a place of religious worship is particularly painful.
Mr Singh said he hoped authorities would reach out to the victims' families and work to prevent the recurrence of such violent acts.
The Shiromani Gurudwara Prabhandhak Committee, the top Sikh religious body, said it will send a committee to meet Mr Singh and India's ambassador to the US to demand Sikhs be protected from future attacks.
At least seven people, including a gunman, have been reportedly killed in a shooting incident at a Sikh temple in the US state of Wisconsin. Daybreak's Sue Jameson reports.
- The Sikh faith is the fifth-largest in the world, with more than 30 million followers. It includes belief in one God and that the goal of life is to lead an exemplary existence.
- The temple in Oak Creek, south of Milwaukee, was founded in October 1997 and has a congregation of 350 to 400 people.
- There are an estimated 500,000 or more Sikhs in the United States.
- Since the attacks of September 11, 2001 by Islamist militants, Sikhs have sometimes been confused publicly with Muslims because of their turban headdress and beards.
- Members of the Milwaukee Sikh community complained to police and a state representative last year about an upturn in robberies and vandalism at Sikh-owned gas stations and stores.
– US Presidential candidate Mitt Romney
Our hearts are with the victims, their families, and the entire Oak Creek Sikh community.
We join Americans everywhere in mourning those who lost their lives and in prayer for healing in the difficult days ahead.