Live updates

PM 'so pleased' for family of British hostage freed in Yemen

A British national held hostage in Yemen is "safe and well" after being freed by United Arab Emirates forces, David Cameron has said.

The Briton, named by the UAE's state news agency as Douglas Robert Semple, 64, was released in a military intelligence operation.

He had reportedly been working as an engineer when he was kidnapped in February last year.

Advertisement

British hostage freed in Yemen is 'safe and well'

Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond has said a British national who has been freed after being held hostage in Yemen is "safe and well".

The Briton, whose identity has not been revealed, was freed after by United Arab Emirates forces.

The hostage was released after an operation by United Arab Emirates forces in Yemen. Credit: Reuters

I'm pleased to confirm that a British hostage held in Yemen has been extracted by UAE forces in a military intelligence operation.

The British national is safe and well and is receiving support from British Government officials. We are very grateful for the assistance of the UAE.

– Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond

Multiple car bombings kill at least 30 people in Yemen

Dozens of people have been killed or injured Credit: Reuters

At least 30 people are dead after four car bombs exploded in the Yemeni capital Sanaa.

Many more were injured, according to security officials.

The bombs hit three mosques and the political headquarters of the Shia Houthi movement. There may have been a fifth bomb according to AFP.

Yemen has been in turmoil since September after it was taken over by Houthi rebels forcing the president Mansour Abdrabbuh to resign and flee to Saudi Arabia.

A coalition of Arab states headed by Saudi Arabia has been bombing Houthis strongholds.

Advertisement

Saudi Arabia 'attacked by Scud missile' from Yemen

A Saudi-led force has been attacking Houthi positions in Yemen's capital, Sanaa. Credit: Reuters/Mohamed al-Sayaghi

Saudi Arabia shot down a Scud missile fired into the kingdom by Yemen's dominant Houthi group and its army allies, according to the Saudi state news agency, reports Reuters.

In a statement from the leadership of the Saudi-led joint Arab military coalition, Saudi Arabia said the attack by forces loyal to President Saleh happened in the early hours of the morning.

"At 2:45 on Saturday morning, the Houthi militias and ousted (President) Ali Abdullah Saleh launched a Scud missile in the direction of Khamees al-Mushait, and praise be to God, the Royal Saudi air defences blocked it with a Patriot missile," the statement said.

Yemeni army accept five-day truce brokered by Saudis

A five-day truce in Yemen, proposed by Saudi Arabia, has been accepted by the army. Credit: Reuters/Stringer

A spokesperson for the Yemeni army allied with Houthi fighters said that Yemen has accepted a five-day truce proposed by Saudi Arabia, Reuters reports.

"We announce our acceptance of the humanitarian ceasefire that will begin on Tuesday," Colonel Sharaf Luqman said in a statement on Yemen's Saba news agency.

Luqman said the army would respond to any break of the ceasefire by al-Qaeda or those allied to them.

Saudi-led forces end Yemen air strike campaign

An airstrike by Saudi-led forces on a weapons warehouse yesterday caused a massive explosion in Sanaa Credit: Reuters

Saudi-led coalition forces have ended their month-long bombing campaign in Yemen, it was announced today.

The alliance has achieved its military goals in Yemen through the "Storms of Resolve" campaign and will bring a new operation called "Restoring Hope", a statement read on Saudi-owned Arabiya TV said.

The mission, the statement said, would focus on security at home and counter-terrorism, aid and a political solution in Yemen.

Yesterday, Saudi-led forces, that pounded the Iran-allied Houthi rebels for more than three weeks, caused a massive explosion when it targeted a weapons warehouse in Sanaa.

Load more updates