Live updates

Former North Yorkshire teacher charged with 12 sexual offences

A former music teacher in North Yorkshire has appeared in court, charged with 12 offences of sexual activity with a girl while in a position of trust.

Dara DeCogan Credit: ITV News Tyne Tees

Dara DeCogan, 57, from the Thirsk area, is accused of having sexual relations with a female pupil at the Catholic boarding school Ampleforth College.

He appeared at Scarborough Magistrates’ Court this morning, Monday 16th, where he entered no pleas in relation to the charges.

He was granted bail, to appear at York Crown Court on 13 February.

  1. National

Speedboat driver tried to confront Tunisia attack gunman

Attacker Seifeddine Rezgui killed 20 people on the beach at Sousse, eight inside the hotel and 10 on the hotel grounds. Credit: AP

The inquest into the Tunisia beach massacre has been shown CCTV and heard more details of the gun attack, including how reports of a second gunman may have been sparked by a speedboat driver who tried to confront attacker Seifeddine Rezgui.

Rezgui had thrown a grenade at an armed guard who opened fire on him as the extremist entered the Imperial Marhaba hotel from the beach with an automatic weapon, the hearing at London's Royal Courts of Justice was told.

Samantha Leek QC, counsel to the inquest, said the guard fell to the ground "seemingly unconscious" at which point the local speedboat driver, named as AI, picked his gun up and attempted to confront Rezgui but could not work the weapon as the attacker continued to claim a total of 38 lives.

Ms Leek said Rezgui was thought to have acted alone on the beach having been dropped off by an accomplice.

The inquest was shown CCTV of a white Peugeot van dropping the gunman off then driving away before Rezgui - hiding his weapon in a parasol - opened fire.

Advertisement

  1. Central

Minute's silence held at reopening of Tunisia inquest

A minute's silence has been held at the reopening of the inquest into the Tunisia terror attacks.

Thirty-eight people were killed when terrorist Seifeddine Rezgui opened fire in the popular resort of Port El Kantaoui, Sousse, in June 2015.

The hearing will examine what happened to the 30 Britons who died in the atrocities.

  1. National

Tunisia inquest to hear critical evidence of travel firm

Families said tourists were told it was safe to travel to Tunisia after a terror attack in the country's Bardo National Museum. Credit: AP

The inquest into the deaths of 30 British tourists in the Tunisia beach massacre will hear evidence critical of TUI, the travel company that owns tour operator Thomson, the inquest's counsel has said.

Some of the families of those killed in the Sousse beach attack said their loved ones were assured by Thomson it was safe to travel to Tunisia after a terror attack in the capital Tunis earlier in 2015.

The Sousse massacre came three months after 24 people were killed in an attack at the Bardo National Museum.

The Bardo Museum reopened just over a week after the attack on 18 March 2015. Credit: AP

Samantha Leek QC, counsel to the inquest, said witnesses speaking on behalf of TUI would also be heard at the inquest.

An earlier hearing was told that many families feared the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) may have failed in its responsibilities to thousands of British tourists.

The Government, which is also represented at the inquest, has applied for certain elements of the latest hearings to be kept private, citing concerns over national security.

Saltburn Pier still closed after storm damage

Saltburn Pier remains closed due to damages after the strong winds and stormy weather on Friday 13th January.

Redcar and Cleveland Council are carrying out an assessment of the damage, and expect that there may be further debris at Redcar and Saltburn because of the high tides.

They will be carrying out daily clean ups of the areas.

Saltburn Pier Credit: Neil Squires/Press Association Images

Advertisement

  1. National

Tunisian security 'delayed their arrival' at attack hotel

Local investigators criticised police for a slow response to the killing in front of the five-star Riu Imperial Marhaba Hotel. Credit: PA

Tunisian police "deliberately and unjustifiably" delayed their arrival to the scene of the Sousse terrorist attack in which 30 Britons were killed, the inquest into the June 2015 massacre has heard.

Samantha Leek QC, counsel to the inquest, said a report by Tunisian Judge Akremi had identified failings by local units that could have ended the slaughter earlier.

Police arrived and shot extremist Seifeddine Rezgui Yacoubi dead after he had claimed the lives of 38 tourists on the beach outside the five-star Riu Imperial Marhaba Hotel.

The hearing packed with relatives of the victims at the Royal Courts of Justice in London heard an unnamed interior minister had told the judge some Tunisian security officers stalled on purpose.

He said the units that should have intervened in the events deliberately and unjustifiably slowed down to delay their arrival at the hotel.

They had the ability to put an end to the attack before the police arrived but wasted a considerable amount of time in getting to the hotel.

– Samantha Leek QC, counsel to the inquest
Load more updates Back to top