Man dies from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning

Man dies from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning Photo: ITV Tyne Tees

A man has died and a woman is seriously ill after suffering from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning in the Lake District.

The couple, from Darlington in County Durham, are believed to have developed the illness whilst staying at a campsite near Ullswater.

Police were called to the Quiet Site Caravan Park in Watermillock on Monday afternoon, and found the body of a man believed to be Chris Bainbridge. His wife, Jane, is understood to have been taken to Cumberland Infirmary in Carlisle where she remains in a serious condition.

Mr Bainbridge had worked for Darlington Borough Council for the last 27 years. Murray Rose, Director of People at the council, said:

“Chris was a terrific colleague who will be greatly missed by friends and colleagues. Our thoughts and condolences are being sent to his family at this sad time.”

– Murray Rose, Director of People at Darlington Borough Council

Further details of his death are still to be confirmed by police.