A teenage girl has died and a 21-year-old man is seriously ill in hospital after suspected drugs overdoses.
North Yorkshire Police have issued a safety warning about a yellow-white paste, thought to contain amphetamine, which may have been involved in both cases.
Paramedics were called to a house on Tang Hall Lane on Thursday night and found the 16-year-old girl critically ill. She later died in hospital.
In another incident, thought to be connected, a 21-year-old local man was taken to York District Hospital by a friend. He is in a serious but stable condition.
Two people, a man and a woman, were arrested on Friday for questioning in connection with the incident.
The police have issued a safety warning, "strongly urging" people not to take risks with substances.
A spokesman said: "The yellow/white paste involved in this particular case is undergoing tests to determine exactly what it contains, although amphetamine is believed to be involved."Until this is confirmed, people are strongly urged not to risk taking substances matching this description or of a similar nature."One girl has already died and a young man is in a serious but stable condition at hospital, so the potential dangers are very real."
They have also issued advice for anyone who is worried:
- If you have drugs-related health concerns: contact your GP or go straight to hospital
- If you are concerned about a child or young person who is vulnerable: contact York Council on 01904 551900 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you are aged 16-25 and need information, support or advice: contact Youth Support Services