1. ITV Report

Fire safety warnings after man dies in County Durham

A 41 year old man died after becoming trapped in a fire at his home in Consett this morning

Fire crews were called to Gladstone Gardens at about 6.30am and forced their way into the burning property.

The man was pronounced dead at the scene.

Fire crews forced their way into the terraced house in Consett Credit: Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue
  • Durham & Darlington Fire and Rescue Service said it was a tragic loss of life, and are urging people to follow their safety advice:
  • You are twice as likely to die in a fire if you don't have a working smoke alarm

  • Fit smoke alarms on every level of your home

  • Test your smoke alarm regularly and never leave it without batteries

  • Before going to bed, turn off and unplug electrical devices, unless designed to be left on, e.g. freezers.

  • Have an escape plan that your whole family knows

  • Know where your door and window keys are, and keep them where everyone can find them