Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew says he's pleased with the response of Yohan Cabaye after Arsenal's attempted move for the midfielder failed in the summer.
The Gunners made a reported bid of around £10 million for the France international during the transfer window. The offer was rejected by Newcastle, but Pardew admitted at the time that Cabaye's "head had been turned" by Arsenal's interest.
The 27-year-old was then left out of the Magpies' squad for the season opener at Manchester City and has yet to start for the club in this campaign. Cabaye wasn't called-up for his country's World Cup qualifying victories over Georgia and Belarus this month either.
However, Pardew said the international break provided a good opportunity for the player to improve his fitness. He said:
– Alan Pardew, Newcastle United FC Manager
"I thought the French national manager [Didier Deschamps] did a good turn for us in not picking Yohan because we've been able to put some really good work into him while he's been here. I think that was important.
"I don't think he was ready for international football at this particular time. But they got great results and we've got great results with him because he's in good shape."
Cabaye will be available for Newcastle's Premier League match away to Aston Villa on Saturday. Click here for team news ahead of the game.