It's Pancake Day!!
Chef Jon Rotheram has given ITV Lorraine the recipe for the perfect pancake.
What you need for the pancakes:
- 100g plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 300ml or half pint of semi-skimmed milk
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil, plus extra for cooking
What you need for a topping of poached rhubarb, crème fraîche and toasted almonds:
- 500g rhubarb, cut into batons
- 100g sugar
- 1 orange, juice and zest
- 175g crème fraîche
- 100g toasted almonds, sliced
What you need for a topping of chocolate sauce, peanut butter and banana:
- 200g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 150ml double cream
- 30g caster sugar (or a few tbsp of honey)
- A knob of butter
- A pinch of salt
- 1 banana, sliced
- Peanut butter
Method for pancakes:
For the pancakes, put the flour in a large bowl and make a well in the middle. Crack the eggs into the well, then pour a splash of the milk and whisk from the centre, drawing the flour into the eggs and milk. Beat the mix until smooth and then stir in the remaining milk until you get a creamy consistency, then add in the oil.
Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat and pour a little oil, swirling it around to cover the base of the pan. Pour a ladle of the pancake batter, tilting the pan and swirling the batter to give a thin, even layer. Leave the pancake to colour for less than a minute, then flip it or turn it with a palette knife. Cook for about 30 seconds, and then place in a plate.
Method for a topping of poached rhubarb, crème fraîche and toasted almonds:
- Prepare the rhubarb by putting it in an oven tray with the sugar, orange juice and zest, and cook at 160C for 15-20 minutes, or until tender.
- To serve, pour the rhubarb over the pancakes with a bit of the rhubarb syrup, sprinkle with the almonds and add a spoon of crème fraîche
Method for a topping of chocolate sauce, peanut butter and banana:
- Place the chocolate pieces in a heatproof bowl. Set over a pan of simmering water (a bain-marie) and allow the chocolate to melt slowly.
- Add the cream, sugar, butter and salt and combine all ingredients well. Stir into a smooth consistency and remove from the heat when ready.
- To serve, place the pancakes on a plate, pour the chocolate sauce over them, then place the sliced banana on top and add a spoon of peanut butter on the side