Police have confirmed that a body recovered from Windermere is that of missing student Matthew Jordan, 20, from Middlesbrough, who disappeared during a trip to the Lake District with friends in March.
- Matthew Jordan was last seen at 1am on March 27th at the Stag's Head pub in Bowness-on-Windermere. CCTV showed him running out the door.
- Matthew's mother Clare issued an emotional appeal for help with the search for her son
– Clare Jordan, Matthew's mother
“Matthew is our world. We love you Matthew. We will find you and we will never give up looking for you."
- Volunteers began helping with the search, including setting up a Facebook page, which now has thousands of members.
- A set of clothes were found by the side of the lake, which were later found not to belong to Matthew.
- After more than two weeks, on April 15th, a body was found and recovered from Windermere, not far from where Matthew was last seen. Matthew's parents were asked to identify the body.
- Cumbria Police confirmed the body was Matthew Jordan and thanked volunteers for their efforts in helping with the search.
– Detective Inspector Furzana Nazir, Cumbria Police
"The response in helping to search for Matthew was tremendous. We cannot thank everyone, from family, friends to members of the public, the local community, and partner agencies, enough for their help and assistance.
“We continue to support the family at this very difficult time.”