Toddler swallows lithium battery

Lithium batteries
Lithium batteries Photo: ITV Tyne Tees

Fifteen month old Amari Leonard from Boldon Colliery spent a week in hospital after swallowing a lithium battery.

The battery was removed from her oesophagus by doctors at the Great North Children's Hospital in Newcastle.

Amari's mother Fhiza said parents should be very vigilant and make sure that all batteries are stored safely. The battery began to corrode when in contact with the saliva in Amari's throat and gave off a slight current which can affect the tissue around it.

For a full report click below: