Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

'Their deaths must not be in vain'

Mark Arries and Edward Ide died from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning Photo: ITV Tyne Tees

Katy Stewart has grown up with the fishing industry and knows its dangers. Yet nothing could prepare her for the loss of her brother, not at sea, but while asleep in harbour.

In January, Mark Arries had moored his boat Eshcol in Whitby harbour, along with fellow crew-member Edward Ide.

The next morning, the pair were found dead in their bunks. Initial findings suggest they had been poisoned by carbon monoxide fumes from a butane gas cooker.

The men were discovered dead in Whitby harbour in January Credit: ITV News Tyne Tees

Because the vessel was less than a certain size, it was not a legel requirement to fit a carbon monoxide detector, though they are recommended.

Katy Stewart must live with the loss of her brother Credit: ITV News Tyne Tees

Katy Stewart is urging all fishermen to fit the alarms and says they should be mandatory on all vessels.

"I think it should be law that every vessel that people are sleeping on should have a carbon monoxide detector. It would be a legacy for Mark and Eddie because I don't want their deaths to be in vain."

– Katy Stewart, sister of Mark Arries

At the time of the tragedy, the Marine Accident Investigation Branch said fishing crews needed to be vigilant to the first signs of carbon monoxide poisoning and gave this advice:

"Carbon monoxide alarms are not expensive and should be fitted."

– Marine Accident Investigation Branch (February 2014)

Katy Stewart says it would be a fitting legacy to her brother and his friend if no other fishing crews were to die this way in the future.

Watch Katy's interview with Helen Ford: