Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Russian student charged with making explosives

Newcastle University was evacuated twice Photo: ITV Tyne Tees

An 18-year-old Russian student has been charged with making an explosive substance after a bomb scare at Newcastle University.

He is due to appear at a magistrates court in London tomorrow morning after he was also charged with possessing a bladed article in a public place.

A second 18-year-old Russian student who had been arrested in connection with the incident has been released on police bail pending further enquiries.

The investigation is being led by the Counter Terrorism Unit.

On Tuesday the INTO building, a place of study for International students, was evacuated after the discovery of what police called "suspicious items".

A controlled explosion took place that night on Town Moor in the Newcastle city.

Two days later the University was evacuated again after police said further substances were found.

Northumbria Police Assistant Chief Constable Jo Farrell said: "We'd like to reassure people that following an extensive investigation a man has now been charged in connection with the incident at Newcastle University and will now progress through the court process.

"I'd like to stress to people that this appears to have been an isolated incident.

"We've worked closely with our partners including the Counter Terrorism Unit and Newcastle University throughout to keep the public safe and ensure they have been updated throughout the past week."

More on this story