A university student became a 'human fireball' after a doorman deliberately set him alight in his fancy dress sheep costume.
22-year-old Sean Collins from Sunderland, whose outfit was hand-made from cotton wools balls, was at a Preston nightclub for a friend's 21st birthday when his costume caught fire in what originally appeared to be an accident.
He ripped the burning costume off, but not before suffering terrible burns to his hands and arms.
Mr Collins was rushed to hospital. He had sustained 12 per cent burns to his body and needed several skin grafts and extensive hospital treatment.
He later discovered that his injuries had been caused by a doorman at the Evoque nightclub using a cigarette lighter.
Yesterday (July 10) the bouncer, 24-year-old Thomas McGuiness, from Chorley, Lancashire, was jailed for 18 months at Preston Crown Court after admitting unlawful wounding.
The court heard that Mr Collins' injuries after the January 17 incident meant he had missed two months of the final year of his university course and had had to give up his part-time job at McDonald's.
Mr Collins was transferred from the Royal Preston Hospital for further care at South Manchester University Hospital where he underwent several skin graft operations.
He could need two years more treatment, and now suffers from anxiety and depression.