Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Mass bomb hoax demanding cash payment sent to dozens of North East schools

Detectives at Northumbria Police investigating the threats, said there was no “viable threat” to the schools. Photo: PA

A mass bomb hoax believed to have originated from the USA has been sent to dozens of North East schools.

More than 35 schools in our region received emails threatening an explosive had been placed on their grounds and would be detonated if a cash payment was not received.

Detectives at Northumbria Police investigated the threats, and the force confirmed in a statement on Monday morning there was no “viable threat” to the schools.

A spokesperson for the force said:

We have received reports from a large number of schools in our region that they have received threatening emails.

“The emails inform the school that a bomb has been placed on the grounds and will be detonated if they don’t hand over cash.

“Detectives have looked into the emails - which appear to originate form the US - and can confirm that there is no viable threat.

“Schools have been visited by police to reassure them that the incident is being treated as a hoax and address any concerns.

“We take all incidents of this nature extremely seriously and an investigation into the emails in question are under way.”

– Northumbria Police