Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Sunderland family escapes house fire thanks to one working smoke alarm

A fire broke out at a house in South Hylton Photo: Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service

A smoke alarm has saved a Sunderland family after a fire broke out in their home.

There was only one working smoke alarm in the house but it meant that the family were able to get out safely.

Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service saved a dog from inside the house and used four breathing apparatus, two hose reels and a ventilation fan to put the flames out.

A fire broke out at a house in South Hylton Credit: Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service

The fire service is reminding people across the region to check their smoke alarms.

“The smoke alarm in this property gave this family valuable time to escape the fire. Please if you don’t have a smoke alarm get in contact with your local fire station and we will arrange an appointment to do a home safety check and install a smoke alarm as necessary. If this family didn’t have the alarm installed the likelihood is, this fire would have had a far worse outcome.”

– Green Watch manager Andy Smith