Keen birdwatchers in Sunderland have gathered to spot the rareRead the full story ›
Two men have been arrested after a horse was found to have been shot in Raskelf, North Yorkshire.
Police said, "Two men aged 36 and 53 were arrested on suspicion of criminal damage shortly before 12.30am on Thursday 16 October 2014. They both remain in police custody."
They say the animal was shot and later left at an address in the village north of York.
The first seal pup of the year has been born on the Farne Islands, marking the start of this year’s seal count.Read the full story ›
When is a zoo not a zoo?
That is a question at the centre of a licensing argument between Northumberland County Council and a falconry.
The centre says it is not a zoo, and that just 3% of its business comes from entry fees.
Joshua Shrimpton Dean reports:
The owner of a falconry has been told that he must pay £2,000 for a Zoo licence, or face having his premises closed down.Read the full story ›
Spring is in the air at a Northumberland farm as rare lambs are born.Read the full story ›
Sightings of the false widow spider are on the rise, with it being cited as Britain's most venomous spider. But how dangerous are they?Read the full story ›
Pet owners are being warned about the dangers of e-cigarettes as the number of dogs being taken to vets with poisoning increases.
A 300% increase in e-cigarette poisoning in the last 12 months has been recorded by the Veterinary Poisons Information Service, while White Cross Vets have noticed a rise in the number of pets that they have had to treat.
Elton, an eight month old Zuchon puppy was one of the unlucky pets to swallow a e-cigarette capsule that was accidentally dropped on the floor.
He was rushed to the vets by his panic-stricken owner.
Emma Ronnay, who lives in Redcar, Cleveland, said: “I was at work when my house-mate rang to tell me what had happened. The nicotine capsule fell out of his hand and before he could pick it up Elton had grabbed it."
Vet Andrew Miller said: “Elton was lucky because he received treatment straight away. When nicotine is ingested there is a very rapid-onset of clinical signs, generally within 15 minutes to an hour, so if a dog is home alone and something like this happens the risks are far greater."
A northumberland charity is asking for help in saving the increasingly rare species.Read the full story ›
There is amazement at Northumbrian Hedgehog Rescue in Longframlington, Northumberland, because two albino hedgehogs have been taken there for rescue.
The first hedgehog was brought in and named 'Tughall' by the rescuer. Now, a second albino hedgehog 'Albert' has arrived. Staff at the centre say to find two of these rare hedgehogs is 'astonishing'.