Newcastle Airport has announced their first scheduled nonstop trans-Atlantic service.
United Airlines will be introducing a new nonstop flight between Newcastle and its New York hub, Newark Liberty International Airport next year, subject to government approval.
The flights, which will be operated by Boeing 757-200 aircraft, will run from 23rd May to 7th September 2015 five times a week.
The cost of an economy ticket will start from just over £500 and will take less than eight hours.
Councillor Iain Malcolm, Leader of South Tyneside Council and lead of the LA7 shareholders says he is delighted with the announcement:
This new service will be hugely significant, in terms of further enhancing regional connectivity, growing the regional economy, attracting inward investment and encouraging inbound tourism from North America.
The Local Authorities and our partner organisations will work hard to make the route a success.
Newcastle Airport employs 3,200 people on-site and contributes £646 million to the local economy each year.
The company behind HS2 will today be looking at how to improve rail links in the North of England.
Sir David Higgins, the Chairman of HS2 Ltd, is meeting local government bosses in Leeds later.
Business leaders form the North East have previously urged the Transport Secretary, Patrick McLoughlin, to say when, if ever, cities like Newcastle will join the high-speed rail network.
Tens of thousands of people from around the UK are backing a national march and rally called ‘Britain needs a pay rise’.
The TUC have organised a national demonstration in London on Saturday, 18 October calling for decent pay and coach loads of people are leaving from Newcastle.
A spokesperson for the Union says the march is focusing on ending the run of seven consecutive years where workers have faced losses in the real value of their wages:
“We're being told we're having an economic recovery but it is only the people at the top that are benefiting from it."
"North Tyneside Council is committed to delivering our ambitious priorities for residents as set out in the Our North Tyneside Plan.
"To do that against some tough challenges the organisation needs to change.
"It is expected that the Council’s budget will reduce by £46 – £50m over the next three years.
"As part of this process we are required to issue an HR1 notice, which is a formal legal document which confirms the possible reduction in posts/ redundancies expected over a period of time.
"This is normal practice each time we approach restructuring of services across the Council.
"The HR1 notice, which has been issued, confirms that up to 350 posts may be lost between now and June 2016 given the financial challenges facing the Council.
"The Council has a good track record in minimising the number of compulsory redundancies. "In previous years we have managed to consistently keep redundancies under those noted in the HR1 Notice and the majority of redundancies have been voluntary.
"We will once again put our efforts into working with trade unions on any measures which will mitigate or reduce the number of compulsory redundancies necessary."
Up to 350 jobs could go at North Tyneside Council.
The posts will go by June 2016. The council is in discussion with unions to work to minimise compulsory redundancies.
It has been announced that across the UK, the jobless total is now 468,000 fewer than a year earlier, the largest annual fall in unemployment since 1988.
George Osborne has tweeted that the latest figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) mark another step towards full employment.
However, the North East is the worst area in the UK for unemployment, recording a 1,000 increase in the number of people without a job in the three months to July, suggesting there is still much to do by the UK government.
Today's employment stats mark another step towards full employment. But still much more to do. Will set out further plans this autumn
The Office for National Statistics (ONS) has revealed that a total of 132,000 people were unemployed in the North East between May and July.
The region's unemployment rate was 9.9% and saw a rise of 0.8% during the period.
It is the worst area in the UK for unemployment, recording a 1,000 increase in the number of people without a job in the three months to July.
However, the number of people claiming Jobseeker's Allowance has fallen below one million for the first time in six years.
And across the UK, the jobless total is now 468,000 fewer than a year earlier, the largest annual fall in unemployment since 1988.
The region's business community contemplates the effect of tomorrow's independence vote on the North East economyRead the full story ›
The number of people unemployed in the North East has risen by 1,000 to 132,000 in the period between May and July.
The region remains top of the unemployment league with almost one in 10 out of work.
Nationally, unemployment fell by 146,000 to 2.2million.