Live updates

Advertisement

National

Lord Brittan 'will not comment' on 'police quiz' story

Lord Brittan will not be commenting on a report that he was questioned by police in connection with an alleged rape, his spokesperson said.

The 74-year-old Conservative peer was questioned under police caution last month but was not arrested, according to the Independent on Sunday.

Lord Brittan is understood to have strongly denied the allegation.

Read: Former-home secretary Lord Brittan 'quizzed over rape claim'

National

Police: Enquiries continue into rape allegation

A Metropolitan Police spokesman confirmed an allegation of rape had been made against a man in his seventies over an incident in 1967. The spokesman said:

In late 2012, a woman alleged to the Metropolitan Police Service that she was raped by a man in 1967 at an address in London.

The woman was over the age of 18 at the time of the incident.

The allegation is being investigated by officers from the Sexual Offences, Exploitation and Child Abuse Command.

In June 2014, a man aged in his seventies was interviewed under caution by appointment at a central London location in connection with the allegation.

He was not arrested. Enquiries continue.

Read: Former-home secretary Lord Brittan 'quizzed over rape claim'

National

Ex-home secretary Brittan 'quizzed over rape claim'

Former home secretary Leon Brittan.
Former home secretary Leon Brittan. Credit: PA

Former home secretary Leon Brittan has been questioned by police in connection with an historical allegation of rape, The Independent on Sunday reported.

The 74-year-old Conservative peer was questioned under police caution last month but was not arrested, the paper said.

A woman has alleged that rape took place in London in 1967 when she was 19, police confirmed.

Lord Brittan is understood to have strongly denied the allegation.

Advertisement

Osborne: "compelling" case for upgrading the A1

The Chancellor George Osborne said there was a "compelling argument" for improving the A1 between Newcastle and the Scottish Borders.

Campaigners have been arguing for years that the road should be made into a dual carriageway all the way along.

"The investment is going into transport - you have seen that in some of the improvements to the A1 around Newcastle - but there is a question then of the road up to the Scottish border.

...

"I have heard the compelling argument for improving the A1: let's wait for the results of our study, which is not far off, and see if we can make this a real commitment."

– George Osborne MP, Chancellor.

On the rocks: Osborne tastes whisky in Berwick

The Chancellor George Osborne has been tasting whisky at a 150-year-old business in Berwick-upon-Tweed, as he announced a programme of investment for rural businesses.

He chose to make the announcement at Simpson's Malt, which has invested £90m in its malting businesses over the last 30 years.

George Osborne joins local figures in Berwick

Read: Osborne dodges maths question from schoolboy

Osborne offers cash for North East rural businesses

The Chancellor George Osborne is visiting Berwick to announce extra funding that he said will support business growth in the North East from 2015, especially in rural areas.

Businesses in County Durham, Gateshead and Northumberland will be able to apply for grants from two funds, worth £22.5m.

The money is a combination of government money, private sector funding and European investment.

It could pay for the development of workspaces, investment in tourist attractions and accommodation, or investment in new equipment to help small businesses grow, where they have struggled to raise money from other sources.

Load more updates