Tributes are tonight being paid to Chris Bainbridge, who died from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning during a camping holiday in the Lake District.
His wife, Jane, is still seriously ill at the Cumberland Infirmary in Carlisle.
The couple, from Darlington, had been staying in a wooden cabin at the Quiet Site Caravan Park in Watermillock at Ullswater when they were found.
Chris Sivers, from Darlington Borough Council said: "Just a really nice chap. Obviously as an employer is concerned he was a really good guy.
"Did a good job at work. He was a Management Information Officer so he did a lot of detailed work, returns to Government, that sort of thing. And just a really nice guy. Had a lot of friends in the office, he had a lot of friends throughout the council, and he'll be sorely missed."
Our correspondent Dan Ashby sent this report.
I first met Chris Bainbridge when I started on the YTS scheme at
Darlington Borough mainly through social activities such as playing pool on
a lunch time.
I then joined the General Rates section in 1986 and began working with
Chris – little did I think I would still be working with him 25 years later.
Chris suggested one day that I should go out for a drink one Saturday night
with his group of friends – after some arm twisting I eventually did go out
and was introduced to a group of people who are still all very close
It did occur to me today that everyone I call a friend outsidework, I met through Chris.
Chris always enjoyed playing 5-a-side football until age got the better ofhim and was a regular turn out for the Community Charge team as well asrepresenting NALGO.
Chris also organised a weekly football sweep with a ‘bottle’ draw at theend of the year.
Chris was a good colleague to many people who have passed through the Local Taxation Office over the last 20 or so years but more importantly a goodfriend to all of us.
– Philip Brown, Darlington Borough Council
Over the last couple of days people have reminded me of times together all
of which I will never forget.
Chris will be dearly missed by everyone who new him. Our thoughts are withJane and Chris’s family.