- Tyne Tees
- 4 updates
Former Newcastle United footballer Joey Barton was arrested and released on bail last night after being involved in a fight in Liverpool.
The 29-year-old was arrested on suspicion of affray after the incident outside Garlands nightclub in the city centre at 5:30am yesterday morning.
A 20-year-old man was also arrested and bailed yesterday afternoon.
Earlier, two 21-year-old men had been detained on suspicion of a public order offence. Both were released on police bail.
A Merseyside Police statement read:
Barton later tweeted that he was going on holiday to Portugal on Tuesday.
Joey Barton has confirmed on twitter that he is okay after being assaulted in Liverpool.
The 29-year-old also said he has no plans to press charges against the two men that were arrested.
Queen Park Rangers spokesman Ian Taylor said:
Former Newcastle United midfielder Joey Barton has been assaulted outside a nightclub in Liverpool.
The 29-year-old, who spent four years with the Magpies, was allegedly involved in a fight with two men outside Garlands nightclub in the city centre.
Police were called to the scene at around 5:30am, and arrested two men, both 21, for a public order offence.
Queens Park Rangers confirmed the player suffered facial injuries before leaving with his girlfriend.
Barton left St James' Park for QPR on a free transfer in August 2011.