A second block of flats are being demolished on a Tyneside housing estate that was wrecked by floods in September 2012.
Heavy rain washed away the land and foundations under part of Spencer Court in Newburn.
The families living there were forced to quickly pack up their belongings and leave.
One block was demolished a month after the floods. The developers say they had no choice but to tear this one down too.
ITV Tyne Tee's Katie Oakes spoke to Geoff Woodcock, from Dunelm Homes, Derek Watt from MGL demolition and local resident Tom Caine.
A second block of flats are being demolished at a Tyneside housing estate damaged by floods in September 2012.
Heavy rain washed away the land and foundations under Spencer Court in Newburn.
Geoff Woodcock from Dunelm Homes the site developer says it's been "devastating" for former residents.
Katie Oakes reports.
Homes in Newburn are being pulled down after flooding in 2012 left them unsafe.
The Newburn flats are pulled down as the demolition work begins. The area was deemed unsafe after flooding in 2012.
Demolition of a second block of flats in Newcastle, severely damaged by flooding, gets underway today (January 15th).
Spencer Court in Newburn was left devastated when an underground culvert collapsed after heavy rainfall and flash floods in September 2012.
A spokesperson for Newcastle City Council confirmed they have approved a demolition request from Dunelm Homes.
– Newcastle City Council
“This is obviously a very sad development for the residents of Spencer Court who have already endured a great deal of distress and inconvenience.
“We continue to work closely with Dunelm Homes to try to get the best outcomes for all of the residents and parties involved.”
Dunelm Homes has spent over £1.5m dealing with the aftermath of the flooding at Newburn. One demolition has already taken place.
Dunelm Homes has released a statement following the confirmation that a second demolition will take place at the Newburn flats. A spokesperson said the company understands how distressing the situation is for the people who lived there and that it has been 'shocking'.
– Dunelm Homes
‘It is extremely sad that another Block of apartments at Spencer Court has become a victim of the catastrophic events following the culvert collapse in May 2012. The impact on all of the residents at Spencer Court has been shocking and protracted and our sincere sympathies are with them.
‘In August we shared with the leaseholders our opinion that the risk of attempting to pressure grout Block B was too high – as explained in our statement dated 21st August.
‘We will continue to support leaseholders throughout the coming months, which are bound to continue to be very distressing for them.'
A demolition date has been set for a block of flats damaged by flooding in May 2012. People living at Spencer Court in Newburn were forced to leave their homes. Block B will now be demolished. The decision follows technical investigations by engineers and negotiations.
Millfield Lane will be closed to both pedestrians and vehicles from 8am on Tuesday 14th January 2014 to allow contractors to secure the site.
The demolition work is planned for the following day and will last for two weeks.
Dunhelm Homes, the company overseeing the demolition of flats at Spencer Court, have announced that work will begin to assess the damage on the culvert underneath.
The flats at Spencer Court were demolished last week after flooding caused extreme damage to the building and the culvert underneath.
Investigations will now be carried out to assess any damage which has been caused to the culvert, and is expected to being tomorrow (November 1st).
The last remnants of the Spencer Court flats may have been removed, but the demolition company says that now the real work can begin.
Brian Manning believes that the priority is to get water moving again in the collapsed culvert that gave way during last month's heavy rainfall, and led to the flats having to be evacuated.