- Tyne Tees
- 5 updates
Labour has had a comfortable win in the Middlesbrough by election that took place yesterday.
The town's new MP will be a local solicitor, Andy McDonald. Mr McDonald was elected to take the seat following the death of veteran backbencher Sir Stuart Bell.
The UK Independence Party came second in the poll.
Here is the full report from our political correspondent Gerry Foley.
Labour's Andy McDonald has claimed a strong majority of 8,211 - just under half the number of votes tallied in Middlesbrough.
The by-election saw 16,866 votes cast from an electorate of 65,098.
The full results are as follows:
- Andy McDonald (Lab) 10,201 (60.48%, +14.60%)
- Richard Elvin (UKIP) 1,990 (11.80%, +8.10%)
- George Selmer (Lib Dems) 1,672 (9.91%, -10.00%)
- Ben Houchen (Cons) 1,063 (6.30%, -12.48%)
- Imdad Hussain (Peace) 1,060 (6.28%)
- Peter Foreman (BNP) 328 (1.94%, -3.90%)
- John Malcolm (TUSC) 277 (1.64%)
- Mark Heslehurst (ND) 275 (1.63%)
Labour has overwhelmingly held the seat of Middlesbrough with Andy McDonald elected the constituency's new MP with 10,201 votes.
The by-election was called following the death of Sir Stuart Bell.
Voters in Middlesbrough will go to the polls today in a by-election after the death of the town's MP Sir Stuart Bell.
Sir Stuart died at the age of 74 last month after a short battle with pancreatic cancer. He had been Middlesbrough MP since 1983.
The by-election for the Middlesbrough Constituency will take place this Thursday on November 29th.
Here is a list of the candidates:
- Richard Peter Elvin - United Kingdom Independence Party
- Peter Foreman - British National Party
- Mark Heslehurst - Independent
- Ben Houchen - The Conservative Party
- Imdad Hussain - The Peace Party
- John Malcolm - Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition
- Andy McDonald - The Labour Party
- George Selmer - Liberal Democrats
The by-election is due to take place after the death of Sir Stuart Bell last month.
Sir Stuart had been the town’s MP since 1983 and died following a short illness at the aged of 74.