- Tyne Tees
- 28 updates
Campaigners are preparing to march through York as part of a campaign against burying the remains of Richard III in Leicester.
The battle for the final resting for King Richard III seems already won, with the decision solely in the hands of the university experts.
The Ministry of Justice (MoJ) today confirmed that it was the University of Leicester's decision to make as they had been granted permission to exhume the monarch's body.
York Council had confirmed it was writing to the Queen and the MoJ to lay claim to the remains.
In a statement the Ministry of Justice said today:
"The licence we issued states that the applicant (the University of Leicester) would, no later than August 31, 2014, deposit the remains at Jewry Wall Museum or have them interred at St Martin's Cathedral or in a burial ground in which interments may legally take place.
"The precise location of reburial is now for the University of Leicester."
King Richard III made a cameo appearance in Prime Minister's questions today which made the House of Commons roar with laughter.
Michael McCann Labour MP for East Kilbride, Strathaven and Lesmahagow asked David Cameron: "Can the prime minister confirm Atos have declared Richard III for for work?"
Atos is a contractor used by the government to assess whether people claiming benefits are eligible for a job.
David Cameron replied that the case had not come his way, but hoped the discovery of Richard III would be a boost to the city of Leicester.
The MP for Skipton and Ripon is supporting calls for the remains of King Richard III to be returned and re-interred in North Yorkshire.
Julian Smith claims that before his death in 1485 Richard of York said he wanted to be buried at York Minster.
Mr Smith continued: “No-one wants another war over this. We should thank Leicester for discovering his remains but they should now be returned to North Yorkshire for the proper burial he deserves in the place he wanted to be remembered.
“I will now be writing to the University of Leicester and Ministry of Justice, who granted the licence for the exhumation, to make this case.”
More than 1,000 people have signed an official government petition to have Richard III re-interred at York Minster. The last king of the House of York was recently found buried in a car park in Leicester.
His remains are due to buried at the city's cathedral, but a campaign has now started to bring him back to his native Yorkshire.
The York Outer MP Julian Sturdy is supporting the campaign to have Richard III buried in York.
Mr Sturdy also announced that he has written to the Archbishop of York, the Ministry of Justice and the Private Secretary to Her Majesty the Queen, to request that the Yorkist King’s final resting place be considered very carefully.
An e-petition on the Government's website has more than 1,000 signatures.
The petition says Richard III was the last King of the House of York and "it is recorded that he was popular in and fond of the North and York in particular."
A skeleton discovered under a car park in Leicester has been confirmed as the remains of King Richard lll - who died 528 years ago.
There is now controversy over where the bones should eventually be re-buried.
The City of York has a strong claim, as Derek Proud reports.
Watch his full report below.
Richard Taylor, Deputy Registrar at the University of Leicester on King Richard III's death.
Latest ITV News reports
Descendants of Richard lll, who are campaigning for his remains to be buried in York, face a longer wait for the High Court ruling
The debate over where the former monarch should be re-buried has continued since his remains were found in Autumn 2012.