- Tyne Tees
- 5 updates
The new Undercroft at York Minster, which opens on Saturday 25 May, has been partly paid for by a £10.5m donation by the Heritage Lottery Fund. Spokesperson Fiona Spiers has been checking on progress as finishing touches are made and says the new space is much more inviting than what it replaces.
The Dean of York says she hopes that visitors to the new Undercroft at York Minster will learn something about themselves from it. The Very Rev Vivienne Faull, was only appointed last year, says the complicated nature of the below ground chambers echo the complex history of the building.
The new Undercroft at York Minster tells the story of the building's 2000 year history from the days of the Romans to the present. The contemporary chambers which now fill the below-ground area use the space which dug out during emergency excavations in the 1970s to shore up the susbiding tower.
The team behind the new exhibition describe it as an immersive and interactive journey featuring artefacts never before on public display that will allow visitors to see, touch and hear the building's history.
A new exhibition will show off the 2000 year history of one of our region's most famous buildings for the first time.
Finishing touches are being made to a series of a chambers underneath York Minster.
The displays show the archaeological remnants of buildings that used to stand on the site and use the latest technology to show how they have transformed into the famous building that stands there today.