Fire strike suspended

A fire brigade strike tomorrow (October 19) has been suspended after progress was made in a dispute over pensions. The walkout, planned from 6.30pm tomorrow, will not be going ahead.

Live updates

Tyne and Wear fire service 'hope dispute can be resolved as soon as possible'

Tyne and Wear fire service confirmed a planned fire brigade strike this weekend will now not go ahead.

The Fire Brigades' Union had proposed to walk out from 6.30pm tomorrow.

Talks have been progressing this week, and although we do not have the full details, the FBU have decided to cancel the action planned for this Saturday.

The Service hopes that the dispute can be resolved as soon as possible.

Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service will now operate a normal Service.

– Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service

Planned fire strike suspended

A planned strike by firefighters in England and Wales tomorrow has been called off after progress in a dispute over pensions.

The Fire Brigades Union said it had been presented with a similar deal to one made by the Scotland Government, covering the retirement of firemen and women aged between 55 and 60.

A walkout which was due to start at 6.30pm tomorrow will not now go ahead.

Advertisement

Smoke alarm warning ahead of strike action

The Deputy Chief Fire Officer, Stuart Errington, is warning people to make sure they have working smoke alarms ahead of the planned fire strike on October 19.

"The plans we have in place will ensure that, should this strike go ahead, people in County Durham and Darlington can still receive a professional response in the event of a fire or other emergency. We would however advise people to take extra care and follow some simple steps to reduce the risk of fire. One of the most important actions that everyone can take is to make sure that there are working smoke alarms fitted on each level of your property. These alarms give you early warning of fire and extra time to get out safely - they can mean the difference between life and death."

– Deputy Chief Fire Officer, Stuart Errington

Second strike for firefighters

The planned industrial action will be the second strike date in this national dispute, the first took place for four hours from 12pm on September 25.

County Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Service has said it is 'disappointed that the on-going industrial dispute between the FBU and the Government, over reform of firefighter pension schemes, has not yet been resolved.'

Further Firefighters Strike Action Not Ruled Out

The Fire Brigades Union says it hasn't ruled out further strikes after yesterday's industrial action. Hundreds of firefighters from across the region joined colleagues in a national walkout over a dispute with the government about pensions. All services are now back to normal.

“We hope that talks between the two parties will continue and that any further industrial action can be avoided.”

– Tom Capeling, Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service

Advertisement

Fire and Rescue Service in County Durham and Darlington 'back to full strength'

The fire and rescue service response in County Durham and Darlington is 'back to full strength' following FBU industrial action. Strikes took place between 12pm and 4pm on Wednesday. During this period, the service only responded to two incidents, both of which turned out to be false alarms.

We are pleased that the number of emergency incidents that we were required to attend was significantly lower than normal and we would like to thank the public and our partners for their support during this difficult time.

– Stuart Errington, Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Service

Hoax Call Made to North Yorkshire Fire Service During Strike

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service say they received a hoax call from the Northallerton area at just after midday today (Wednesday 25th). It came during the national firefighters strike between 12pm and 4pm. Control room staff challenged the caller, and no engines were dispatched.

It is shocking to think that members of the public would consider making these calls, especially during the strike period when there was a higher chance of resources being stretched attending real emergencies. I would like to take this opportunity to remind all the residents of North Yorkshire, whatever age, that making hoax calls is not a joking matter and could put lives at risk.

– Dave McCabe, North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service
Load more updates Back to top