No hands driver banned from roads

Robert Newton, 36, from Whitby, has been banned from driving for 12 months after being filmed by police driving at 60mph with his hands behind his back.

Live updates

Hands-behind-head driver is banned

A driver has been banned from the roads for 12 months after he was filmed doing 60 miles an hour - with both hands behind his head.

Mechanic, Richard Newton, was found guilty of dangerous driving by Magistrates.

The video was taken by North Yorkshire Police as Newton drove along the A171 near Whitby.

The road has seen 30 serious accidents in the last six years - five of which were fatal as Chris Kiddey reports.

Road ban welcomed for hands-free driver

“North Yorkshire has some of the most perilous roads in the country and so it is right that our police take action against reckless driving that puts road users in unnecessary danger.

“I welcome the 12-month driving ban and hope it acts as a reminder to all motorists of their responsibilities when they get behind the wheel.

“I would also like to thank the road safety team for making this prosecution possible.”



– Julia Mulligan, Police and Crime Commissioner for North Yorkshire


Look - car - no hands!

Watch amazing footage of Richard Newton driving at 60mph with his hands behind his head.

The 36 year old, from Whitby, was filmed by North Yorkshire police officers on the A171 near the Scaling Dam Reservoir, last August.

Today he was banned from driving for 12 months and fined £625 by Scarborough magistrates, after they found him guilty of dangerous driving.

He was also ordered to carry out 100 hours of unpaid work in the community.

Ban and fine for driving with no hands

Richard Newton found guilty of dangerous driving

A Whitby man has been banned from driving for 12 months for driving with no hands.

Richard Newton, 36, of Abbots Road, was found guilty at Scarborough Magistrates’ Court of dangerous driving.

Mr Newton was filmed as he drove past a police mobile safety camera on the A171 near Scaling Dam reservoir, at around 6.20pm on Friday 9 August 2013.

He had both hands behind his head as he continued along the road for around 25 seconds driving at between 60 to 63mph.

Back to top