Police officers in Cyprus have said that the death of a five-year-old girl in a hotel swimming pool was not suspicious.
The swimming pool at the Evalena Hotel in Protaras does not have a lifeguard but it does have warning signs.
Nathan Morley, a journalist currently based in the area, told ITV News Tyne Tees what happened.
She was discovered by a tourist… He jumped in apparently and pulled her out. She was rushed to a local private clinic where she was pronounced dead. We understand the mother… has been getting assistance from the British authorities… I understand she was in a state of shock for several days.
Cyprus is a country where there are swimming pools literally everywhere in most properties. Every hotel, every apartment block has a swimming pool and with temperatures this week at around 39 or 40 degrees that’s where most people are."
A five-year-old girl has drowned in a swimming pool in a hotel in Cyprus. She has not been officially named but she is believed to be from the Darlington area.
It happened at around 4pm on Monday 16 June. The family had only arrived in Cyprus a few hours earlier. They were staying at the Evalena Hotel in the popular tourist resort of Protaras.
Nathan Morley, a journalist based in Cyprus, told ITV News Tyne Tees: “Every hotel, every apartment block has a swimming pool and with temperatures this week at around 39 or 40 degrees that’s where most people are.”
The hotel’s pool did not have a lifeguard but it did have warning signs. Local police investigated the incident and found that no one was to blame.