Man shot five times in his garden

Investigations are underway after a man was shot five times in County Durham.

The victim has been taken to hospital with multiple injuries following the attack in Wingate.

Live updates

Durham Police confirm two men released on bail

Two men arrested on suspicion of attempted murder following a shooting in County Durham have been released on bail until September 2014.

A 56-year-old man suffered five gunshot wounds in the attack, which happened in the front garden of a house in Station Town near Wingate on Monday, 18th August. His injuries were described as serious but not life-threatening.

Durham Police say the investigation into the shooting is continuing.

Read the full story here: Man shot five times in his garden

Advertisement

Police confirm man's injuries are not 'life threatening'

Police have confirmed that the victim of the County Durham shootings injuries are said to be "serious but not life threatening".

Despite having been shot a number of times in the lower body, the victim's injuries are described as serious but not life threatening and I understand that today he will be subject to some further surgery at the hospital today.

– Chief Inspector Andy Huddleston

Police reassure public after County Durham shooting

Police are reassuring members of the public after a shooting in County Durham.

Two men have been arrested after a man was shot in a drive-by attack while standing in his garden in Wingate. He was taken to hospital with multiple gunshot wounds, but his injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.

Durham Constabulary say two men, aged 24 and 27 and from Wingate, were arrested on suspicion of attempted murder. They said they believe the attack was planned and do not think there is a risk to the public.

"Our initial investigations lead us to believe the shooting was a planned and targeted attack. We do not believe there is a wider risk to the public at this time.

"An extensive investigation is very much ongoing and further arrests are likely. The investigation team will be conducting house-to-house inquiries, reviewing CCTV footage along with forensic examinations.

"Whilst this is shocking, incidents of this nature are thankfully rare in County Durham and our neighbourhood officers will be in the community today passing this message on."

– Chief Inspector Andy Huddleston

Advertisement

Man is shot five times in County Durham

Two men have been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after a shooting in County Durham.

The victim has been taken to hospital with multiple injuries following the attack in Wingate. Police believe more than one vehicle pulled up outside a property on Brackendale Court on August 18 before shots were fired. The 56-year-old had been standing in the garden of the house when he was shot.

Two men aged 24 and 27 from Wingate were arrested on suspicion of attempted murder.

Back to top